Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

I feel like a horrible mother, all I do is yell. I know it's wrong but I cant seem to stop. I have to tell my boys 20 times to do something, it's driving me nuts. My boys are 6 and 7 and just don't listen...I'm calling the school behaviorist tomorrow, and I'm going to get counseling for myself. I'm also going through menopause which isn't helping! Ughhhh thanks for listening ladies!

by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Replies (11-20):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Hugs Mama.  Sounds like you are going through a rough patch.  I hope the new services help! 

charley31
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 6:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I hear ya. I cried the other day to dh that I'm the mom I never wanted to be. My son will 3 yr in 2wks. He has autism, disruptive behavior disorder, ADHD, and a tic disorder. He loves getting a rise out of me. He laughs at me too. He repeats himself nonstop even when I try to redirect him. I'm almost 8mo pregnant so I have zero patience and my hormones are insane. But I'm hoping with him starting his school on the 28th and the help of "real" therapists coming to the house things will improve.

Quoting trippyhippy:

All the time and I hate it.  My boy has severe autism, severe adhd and servere Oppositional Defiant Disorder and to say he is a handfull is an understatement.  He lives to get a rise and laughs in histerically as he does one bad thing after another for hours at a time.  It's exausting and sometimes I yell my ass off because I just don't know what else to do.

jjamom
by Michele on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:37 AM
Unfortunately, yes. However, it is nearly never directed at my son with SN. He is actually usually my easy going child! The other two, when I have repeatedly told them to do something (or stop doing something) and they don't, that is where my patience wears thin and they hear it.
Codysmom2106
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Yes I do. I don't want to and don't like that I do but after telling or asking something of my son multiple times that what it comes to. He is adhd, stubborn as can be and thinks he knows everything. He will purposely tell you the opposite of what you want to hear just because he can. I'll say time it get ready for bed or whatever and it's no uh uh, you can tell me what to do or you can't make me. It's so frustrating because with everyone else it's yes ma'am, no sir, please and thank you. :(

karenl
by Karen on Oct. 15, 2013 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Boy does this sound familiar!! 

Quoting trippyhippy:

All the time and I hate it.  My boy has severe autism, severe adhd and servere Oppositional Defiant Disorder and to say he is a handfull is an understatement.  He lives to get a rise and laughs in histerically as he does one bad thing after another for hours at a time.  It's exausting and sometimes I yell my ass off because I just don't know what else to do.

karenl
by Karen on Oct. 15, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this

My 6 year old son doesn't have autism, but has ODD tendencies and global delays. My 7 year old just doesn't listen...My stomach is killing me from yelling last night! I never in a million years thought I would be a mother who would yell, ughhh.

lazyd
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, i am a yeller and a loud talker and i need to tone it down.  I am learning tho!  Even as an adult i need to learn things and pay attention to what im doing!  LOL!

asmoni
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Sadly...yes I do from time to time. I try my best not to. 

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Not so much anymore.... Ive definetley changed the lenses that I view my son thru thanks to Ross Greenes book the explosive child. I dont see his behaviors as "attention seeking or manipulative"... I see that he is doing his best.. But due to his social emotional learning disability that comes with his disorder.. That he really cant do better.. And he just needs some extra help. I found the yelling only made him feel bad.. And me.. And it certainly wasnt helping him.. So, now I whisper. Ive retrained myself to whisper when im frustrated and I dont take his behavior perosnally. Its a super easy read with tons of interesting info. You can get it at the library or you can visit his website. All Dr.Greenes info is free from his nonprofit organization www.livesinthebalance.com. 

He is really doing a great job in Maine, his COS parenting model has taken over many schools, adopted by teachers, as well as juvinile halls and child development centers (formally known as jail for kids). It is sucha positive way that it really has helped me. 

I hope you spend a few minutes at his website. - On the left, under LEARN - why solve problems... there are 5-6 few minute videos that I found paradigm changing... And I hope it helps you too. HUGS! 

valleymomma1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Nope a nice calm voice is more effective even at school his teacher knows a raised voice will get her no where & only sets him off.    

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN