Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

i don't know.........

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:25 PM
  • 13 Replies
Few quick facts on my situation.
My son has a severe case of autism and he is nonverbal. He is 9yrs old.
My problem is that I don't have a clue what to get him for Xmas.I have tried taking him to the store to see what interest him. I have bought toys that has picked up @ the store for him to show no interest in it after we brought it home
.I don't want him to be disappointed at theXmas.
Any ideas? Please what are you getting your kids?
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group!  My son is 5 years old with severe Autism as well.  He is completely nonverbal, eats baby food, but primarily fed through a feeding tube.  He has the mentality of a 12-14 month old.  To be honest, we don't usually get him anything for Christmas.  He doesn't like new toys.  He never has.  His absolute favorite toys are the ones he's had for 2+ years.  He has toys from last Christmas that he still hasn't touched.  He just doesn't like new things.  We let the grandparents buy him whatever they want and we usually just take him somewhere special.  Hugs!

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this
What about a fish tank, or a giant bean bag or swing hammock- the kind that hangs from his bedroom ceiling or door frame?

I don't know how his physical abilities are, but my sensory-seeker loves his Bilibo seat.

An iPod and nice headphones?
cnsmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this
My son also has autism, he's 19 now. He loves to draw, so we get him art supplies, he also loves making things out of clay. He loves anything to do with Army or war time like models of old war ships or old planes. We have never got him things that other kids his age was getting. Is there anything that he loves to do, or is just fastinated with? Hugs.
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

These bungee chairs are really fun to sit in and inexpensive at Target.
heldcaptiveby2
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:19 PM
My son already has a giant bean bag/ couch he also has a mini-trapoline and an indoor swing. He also has a leappad2. He has no physical limitations.
Last year was the first time he ever opened Xmas presents. It was amazing and Yes I did cry I was so happy. I just want to see his eyes light up when he opens his presents this year.
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Aww, my son was 8 the first time he opened presents too!! Such an awesome thing to see!

Quoting heldcaptiveby2:

My son already has a giant bean bag/ couch he also has a mini-trapoline and an indoor swing. He also has a leappad2. He has no physical limitations.

Last year was the first time he ever opened Xmas presents. It was amazing and Yes I did cry I was so happy. I just want to see his eyes light up when he opens his presents this year.

heldcaptiveby2
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 10:10 PM
That's why this Xmas is so important to me & DH we want to enjoy watchin him enjoy.

Quoting Elyssa414:

Aww, my son was 8 the first time he opened presents too!! Such an awesome thing to see!

Quoting heldcaptiveby2:

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group. I don't have any experience sorry. Just wanted to say Hi.

SnapShotMama
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 11:25 PM
I would go for therapy toys. Weighted blanket, fidget toys, lava lamp if he likes visual imput or a infant toy with simple buttons that makes sounds.
This may not be your case but after watching a movie the other day I really don't think autistic kids are as behind as many think when non verbal. Obviously speech, and socially. But you should really really watch it! I posted it on this group!
heldcaptiveby2
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Hi

Quoting Linagma03:

Welcome to the group. I don't have any experience sorry. Just wanted to say Hi.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN