Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

IEP via phone? ***EDIT***

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:39 AM
  • 5 Replies

Would you be okay with doing an IEP this way? 

Lina's teacher is out with what may be the flu and we were to have an IEP meeting today but can't. She called me yesterday to tell me. The IEP has to be locked in by the 25th she asked me if we could do it on Monday but next week is conference week and by the time she is done with the last meeting there isn't time for me to see all of them and get to an appointment that I can't change.

So here is the big question. She said we could do the meeting over the phone with each one of the people involved calling me today to go over their parts of it and then the papers would be sent home with Lina on Monday for me to go over make any changes or just sign the paper and send it back. WWYD? 

I told her I would do it as a phone conference because of the way things are going on Monday.

***EDIT***  I did the phone conference. The speech & OT have never worked with her before so they have decided that they are going to stick with the goals that were set at the last IEP in the Spring. Her teacher is worried about the fact that Lina seems to have regressed over the summer. She was at almost the end of Kindergarten abilities, she is now at maybe half way thru Kindergarten level. So the goals are going to be pretty much the same. The teacher wants to just keep the goals the same as last Spring with the goal to be end of kindergarten by Spring and beginning of 1st grade by the end of the school year. The teacher is also adding the recommendation and request that Lina get the Extended School Year to stop this from happening again.    I should get the papers on Monday when Lina gets home from school. I can go over them and call with questions or meet with them to do any changes that may need to be made. I'll be going over it very carefully and plan to ask questions if I don't understand what is there or it doesn't seem to be the same as what we discussed

I hate that they do these IEP's barely over a month after school starts. Most therapies don't start until 2-3 weeks after school starts. 

• My 2nd time around. I LOVE EVERY MINUTE!!!
  •          boy n girlblowing bubbles
  •             R   &   A                Lina 
  •     teenage terror time!    special to all of us!
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:38 AM
2 moms liked this
Usually if one person can't make it, you can still do the regular meeting and sign a form saying its ok with you that they're not there. Then she can have stuff prepared for you or you can meet with her later to go over her part. Or maybe even keep the regular meeting with everybody else abd have her phone in at the same time.
Anyway, I like to look at people and have papers in front of me at these meetings, so that's what I would do.
jjamom
by Michele on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:55 AM
I wouldn't be comfortable with that, to be honest, but I guess maybe it depends on how complex the IEP is?

We always get a draft IEP ahead of time and are able to go over it to be prepared for the meeting, and I still always feel the need for the actual mtg. My son's OT was unable to attend the last one because she was having surgery, so we did have a telephone conference after she emailed me her portion if the IEP. I was able to ask questions, ask for changes, etc and it worked out fine, but I wouldn't want to do that for the entire IEP.
mandee1503
by Amanda on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM
I would make sure the meeting went on. I wouldn't want to do it over the phone.
letstalk747
by Joy on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:16 PM

i would if i had no other choice , yes

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 19, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Nope.  I wouldn't do that.  Just me though:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)