Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Potty training update

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:18 AM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this
Jer is doing awesome!! I'm really optimistic that we may FINALLY get him trained! I've been taking him every half hour. It's exhausting lol. But, he has used the potty and had only a few accidents. He argued abd fought me at first and I finally just told him this is something we are doing, like eating or brushing your teeth, it is not optional. So you can obey nicely and sit on the potty, or we can have a timeout. I know, not the way you're "supposed" to do it, but it's actually what his dt said to do lol. Yesterday he fought me a lot less and was very proud when he pooped in the potty last night lol

He was 3 in April, so he's about 3.5 and I'm do tired of pull-ups lol. I'm not sure he knows when he has to pee yet, so it will take a lot if reminding for a while, but Maggie was the same way.

Anyway, I'm excited ;). Have a good Monday all!!
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaLauri
by Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:43 AM

you rock

letstalk747
by Joy on Oct. 21, 2013 at 9:48 PM

i sure hope he keeps progressing

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:38 AM
That makes 2 of us!

Quoting letstalk747:

i sure hope he keeps progressing

Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:58 AM
I have the potty blues here. My LO turned 3 in June and doesn't want to get with the program.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Lol we've tried at 2.5,3, and now 3.5. First time we've made any progress

Quoting Bluecalm:

I have the potty blues here. My LO turned 3 in June and doesn't want to get with the program.

Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Why did his dr suggest using the timeout method? My dh and I have discussed taking a firmer approach because he can do it. He was almost completely trained at 2.5. His sitter had to close her business suddenly for health reasons and his new sitter was way more laid back about potty training so he just quit and it's been an issue since.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjamom
by Michele on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Good luck, I hope you get results this time. I think timing is everything!

I started trying to potty train my DD at 2.5. She loved to sit on her little potty chair and read and then as soon as she'd say she was done trying, I'd put her in a new pull up snd she'd go. I decided to back off for a while. She was finally potty trained in one week when she was 3.5. With my oldest son, I didn't even start trying until he was 3.5, and he literally potty trained on ONE day (yes, I realize in hindsight he could have obviously done it earlier, but hey, it was a completely NO STRESS experience, so I'm good with it)! My little guy with SN is still working on it. I know he'll get there eventually and I am not stressing over it. I have had a child in diapers or pull ups for 16 years now (with the exception of a few months when DS1 was potty trained and DS2 was born), LOL.
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:31 PM
It was actually his developmental therapist. Its because its more of a behavioral issue than anything with him. Like most kids on the spectrum, he doesn't handle transitions well, and simply going from playing to potty, was aggravating to him so he simply refused to even think about trying lol. This way, no matter what choice he makes, there's still a transition plus we're dealing with the behavior. And now that he's gone in the potty a handful of times, its really not even a fight anymore. I guess he's realized its not that bad lol. Of course we never make him stay there for more than a couple minutes and don't punish for accidents or anything like that. It just got to the point, of look, its like eating and bedtime. You don't always want to do it but you don't always get a choice.

Quoting Bluecalm:

Why did his dr suggest using the timeout method? My dh and I have discussed taking a firmer approach because he can do it. He was almost completely trained at 2.5. His sitter had to close her business suddenly for health reasons and his new sitter was way more laid back about potty training so he just quit and it's been an issue since.

MacensMommy228
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 8:22 PM
My son will be 3 in feb I am so nervous about potty training idk where to even start :/
jessylynn33
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:21 PM
I do get the frustration of potty training. We are on like our 5th attemp now. So far its great. 3rd day in underware no accidents yet. She is 4 as of last month. She was almost full potty trained at 3.5 but ibhad surgery and shevregressed all the way and out and out refused it for months. So we tried again this weekend and it totally clicked (with stickers, and m&m,
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)