Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

My Sons Anxiety

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:05 AM
  • 14 Replies
My 8 year old special needs ds, has dx of ADHD, ODD, Generalized Anxiety Disorder,Migraine HA, IBS, and a Mood Disorder Not Specified, which is a fancy way of saying probable BPD. They do not want to officially diagnose him until puberty, but he is still getting the same treatment that he would receive with the dx. Heres my problem. My ds is having these "panic attacks", after weekends off, or after he misses a day of school.He is alm9st impossible to get to school. We dress him, he undresses himself. He hides under his bed. I think if he just wanted to stay home, that he would not have this heightened level of anxiety so bad that it makes him beg to be home schooled. When he finally does get to school, he will break down and cry in the middle of class, and have to bee sent to the counselor or principal. We have been in communication with his teacher, and the school administration. They believe it is simply a bid to stay home. He does have one child whom he insists bullies him, and he insists that his teacher doent like him. He does not experience any academic diffiulty, though. He makes straight A's. My question is, would you speak to his Psychiatrist about prescribing a rescue antanxiety drug to take az he neexs it?
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:43 AM
I don't know. If this is an every day thing, I think I would do some deeper digging and find out why he's really so scared of school. Is is possible for you to go with him and must observe? Or maybe come in unexpected and get a better idea of how he's being treated. Does he say why he thinks his teacher doesn't like him?
Pukalani79
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:44 AM

My daughter also has the general anxiety and mood disorder +.  School was a nightmare for her.  At 8 she spent a night in the ER because she wanted to kill herself because of the pressures and drama of school. Because of her anxiety, she could not handle it.  Her teacher thought the same thing and blew it off.  We talked to her counselor and together made the decision to try homeschooling.  It was not easy, I will not lie.  Our first year was more unschooling as we tried to figure it out, but I will tell you it was the best decision we could have made.  It made a world of a difference. She still struggles with anxiety, and as you know that's probably something she'll always struggle with.  She still has her mood swings, but all in all, she is a happier child. This year is a lot smoother and we're able to actually do a more traditional type of homeschooling.  I dont know how long we'll homeschool - just as long as it's the best fit for her, I guess.  I do not believe that homeschooling is best for every family or even for every child, but it was the best choice for her.  It might be something to consider and to talk about with your son's counselor. 

BTW, Em's pediatrician was absolutely against it.  She felt like it was a temporary solution and that we were running away from the problem.  Her counselor, on the other hand, felt like it was worthwhile to help her feel safe and start to work on some of the anxiety issues in that enviornment.  She is active and we found ways for her to interact with other kids, just on a smaller scale.  That way she still has to learn the coping skills but it's less overwhelming for her.

letstalk747
by Joy on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:19 AM

welcome , im joy ,,this sounds way more than a bid to want to JUST stay home, can you home school him , as im sure you know this is very traumatic for him to go to these lengths to not go to school, im surprised he is a A student with these issues as being this stressed out effects every facet of his life ,

i sure hope he can be given and find some calm soon-- what meds is he on now ?????

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:30 AM

If my child had that kind of anxiety about going to school I would consider homescooling him. It seems like a pretty clear sign to me. I'd rather do that than the rescue type of anti anxiety drugs.

goodnurse1
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:34 AM
I would not mind home schooling him, but I work 50 hours a week as a Hospice Nurse, and I support my family of four. My dh is disabled, and awaiting word on Disability. He loves our ds, but fels my son is very oppositional towards him, and he would not be an effective teacher in this situation. He is on Cyphroheptadine, Vyvanse, Reiperdone, Guanfacine, and Tylenol as needed.
letstalk747
by Joy on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:42 AM

has he tried  Concerta with Risperidone- minus the others  ?

Quoting goodnurse1:

I would not mind home schooling him, but I work 50 hours a week as a Hospice Nurse, and I support my family of four. My dh is disabled, and awaiting word on Disability. He loves our ds, but fels my son is very oppositional towards him, and he would not be an effective teacher in this situation. He is on Cyphroheptadine, Vyvanse, Reiperdone, Guanfacine, and Tylenol as needed.

goodnurse1
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Yes, he has. He could not focus.
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:46 AM
You may want to look into k12. Its online schooling, so the only thing yall would really have to do is make sure he does it and answer any questions.
goodnurse1
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:53 AM
k12?
Rayna700
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I was thinking the same things.  There are some great online school options at this point.  The enrollment windows will close quickly or might already be closed for this semester.  I would not just try to fix this with medications.  He is giving you very big warning signs, something is not right about the environment he is in at school.  You need to push more about what is happening at school and see if you can get the school counselor to work with you.  I would talk with the counselor to find out if he/she can find out more about what is happening at school.  I get that homeschooling is not an option for every family but it sounds like something needs to change and maybe there is a way  to get the school to help you try something different.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)