Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

no stander cause he in wheelchair

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:13 AM
  • 20 Replies

So this is 3rd letter from medicaid. We trying to get jacob a stander. And well its not going good. They keep saying no.  Cause they had to point out he has HSP so his legs are weak that he is in wheelchair.  So they said stander would not do him any good and it would be un safe.  I try to call his pt but she out at schools.  So who gets to use standers if kids in wheelchair cant ? 

by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jjamom
by Michele on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Are all people with HSP confined to a wheel chair?  If the answer is no, I don't see how they can refuse something aimed at helping him become stronger and helping him stand.   How do they know he will never be able to walk?  Is the stander for therapy?  Did anyone write a letter of necessity to go with the request?

SnapShotMama
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:40 AM

That is bs in my book. Standers are very very good for people in wheelchairs. I would file for a fair hearing and just keep at it.

A lady i knew had one for her then only 11 month old. It helps the body overall.

Jenniy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:41 AM
2 moms liked this

Jonathan's therapist gave up after 2 years of trying to get him a stander, so they got him a gait trainer with locking wheels. lol If there's a Shriner's near you contact them, they get donations and they might get a stander he can use.  Good Luck!

N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 1:03 PM

We dont have a shriners in our state.  So im not sure if they would help us in a different state ?

Quoting Jenniy:

Jonathan's therapist gave up after 2 years of trying to get him a stander, so they got him a gait trainer with locking wheels. lol If there's a Shriner's near you contact them, they get donations and they might get a stander he can use.  Good Luck!

letstalk747
by Joy on Oct. 24, 2013 at 1:06 PM

this is crazy

N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Corys mom uses a walker. and wheelchair if to long of a walk. Cory brother was walking but using a cane to help him. Cory walked but had many surgerys to make walking better. He is in wheelchair now. .  We had a stander at school on loan for a week. And it helped him last year. He wants to be up. His legs just cant hold him up on his own.  They think at school he could do so much more.  His pt wrote a letter and the guy we got stander from wrote a letter. Cause he already knows us cause we deal with him for braces and wheelchair.  They have never seen medicaid this much of a fight.  We have been told we need to do surgery for him to walk. But he has autism thats why put of surgery. His pt felt if we can get him up standing make those legs nice and strong. His pt girl called me back and she is pissed they saying no.

Quoting jjamom:

Are all people with HSP confined to a wheel chair?  If the answer is no, I don't see how they can refuse something aimed at helping him become stronger and helping him stand.   How do they know he will never be able to walk?  Is the stander for therapy?  Did anyone write a letter of necessity to go with the request?

jjamom
by Michele on Oct. 24, 2013 at 1:26 PM
That's just crazy! I would keep resubmitting. I've heard sometimes you have to submit multiple times to finally get approved. Maybe his doctor can write a script for it?

Quoting N.Carter2001:

Corys mom uses a walker. and wheelchair if to long of a walk. Cory brother was walking but using a cane to help him. Cory walked but had many surgerys to make walking better. He is in wheelchair now. .  We had a stander at school on loan for a week. And it helped him last year. He wants to be up. His legs just cant hold him up on his own.  They think at school he could do so much more.  His pt wrote a letter and the guy we got stander from wrote a letter. Cause he already knows us cause we deal with him for braces and wheelchair.  They have never seen medicaid this much of a fight.  We have been told we need to do surgery for him to walk. But he has autism thats why put of surgery. His pt felt if we can get him up standing make those legs nice and strong. His pt girl called me back and she is pissed they saying no.

Quoting jjamom:

Jenniy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:46 PM

They might.  I know my brother went to the Shriner's in St Louis, and we lived in Indiana and I'm in SW WA and the one Jonathan goes to is in Portland, OR.

Quoting N.Carter2001:

We dont have a shriners in our state.  So im not sure if they would help us in a different state ?

Quoting Jenniy:

N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Thank you for advice.
Quoting Jenniy:

They might.  I know my brother went to the Shriner's in St Louis, and we lived in Indiana and I'm in SW WA and the one Jonathan goes to is in Portland, OR.

Quoting N.Carter2001:

Quoting Jenniy:

Jenniy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Good luck! :)

Quoting N.Carter2001:

Thank you for advice.
Quoting Jenniy:

Quoting N.Carter2001:

Quoting Jenniy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN