Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

stuttering

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Joy
  • 8 Replies

my son -13 is really stuttering lately , it comes and goes , always has

does your child stutter

by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:53 PM

None of them did but I did as a kid and some times when I was in my 20's. It seemed to happen when I was the most stressed. I'm glad none of the kids do because of the teasing that they would get in school. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 28, 2013 at 3:00 PM

No, but he doesn't talk yet:)

DyslexiaParent
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 7:33 PM

That can be caused by a lot of different things... I think it's more common when their mind is full of all kinds of ideas that they can't organize quickly in order to say what their thinking.  My son used to do it and repeating what he said was a way of holding his place as he was thinking of the exact word(s) he wanted to say next.  Otherwise, you might have to have him evaluated by a speech-language pathologist to find out what the root of the problem is.

2010twingirls
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 8:46 PM
My daughter does at times but she just turned three. Her speech therapist said it can happen when she acquiring new language skills. Hers really comes and goes and the more excited she'd get the worse it would get. We didnt bring attention to it or try to rush her. We'd just wait until she got her thoughts together.
letstalk747
by Joy on Oct. 28, 2013 at 11:39 PM

yup

Quoting Linagma03:

None of them did but I did as a kid and some times when I was in my 20's. It seemed to happen when I was the most stressed. I'm glad none of the kids do because of the teasing that they would get in school. 

letstalk747
by Joy on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:16 PM

im pretty sure its the same for my kid , he has had many evals thru the years

Quoting DyslexiaParent:

That can be caused by a lot of different things... I think it's more common when their mind is full of all kinds of ideas that they can't organize quickly in order to say what their thinking.  My son used to do it and repeating what he said was a way of holding his place as he was thinking of the exact word(s) he wanted to say next.  Otherwise, you might have to have him evaluated by a speech-language pathologist to find out what the root of the problem is.

TatyBear
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:19 PM
My DD 5 only stutters when she has something exciting to.tell you.

So ya it comes and goes.
letstalk747
by Joy on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:37 PM

i have always done the same too  not rush along or  bring attention

Quoting 2010twingirls:

My daughter does at times but she just turned three. Her speech therapist said it can happen when she acquiring new language skills. Hers really comes and goes and the more excited she'd get the worse it would get. We didnt bring attention to it or try to rush her. We'd just wait until she got her thoughts together.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)