Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

need ideas...

Posted by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:04 PM
  • 19 Replies
I'm a single mom of three sn boys, two asd and one mild mr with psych issues. 7 yrs ago I had to leave my job and dedicate my full time on my boys. We are living on ssi right now, but I want to work. The problem is I just cannot work outside the home. My kids have 6-10 apointments a month from medication management and therapy that dont allow me to hold a job. I am in the process of getting my apartment fixed and am planning on being a part time babysitter. I also am thinking of selling sofrito, which is a traditional spanish seasoning, and also trying my hand on wire wrapping stones and maybe baked goods.

Do you have any other ideas on how I can make an income from home? What do you think of these ideas?

***thank you all for the great ideas and support, it is greatly appreciated!
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lissadavis
by Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:05 PM

do your kids go to school?

bxmom2580
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:18 PM
Yes

Quoting lissadavis:

do your kids go to school?

lissadavis
by Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:29 PM

there are many jobs you can work from home, are you good on the phone? what about sewing? Cleaning other peoples homes.

bxmom2580
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Im ok on the phone. I wish I was crafty but I am not :0( I don't sew.
I also have considered doing house cleanings

Quoting lissadavis:

there are many jobs you can work from home, are you good on the phone? what about sewing? Cleaning other peoples homes.

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 5:42 PM

What did you do when you worked? I'm a jack of all trades and did office work for awhile. I'm a pretty good bookkeeper and have thought about doing some online classes in accounting and maybe doing some small business accounting from home. Check out some of the community college websites for online classes and many don't cost hardly anything and you could probably get help with the tuition since you are living on a fixed income from ssi. The one thing I did like about the online classes was that they were pretty much go at your own pace.

bxmom2580
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 5:47 PM
I was a certified cna.

I can't go to college, I owe a lot in student loans. I want to make extra side money to pay bills/student loans/ect.

Quoting Linagma03:

What did you do when you worked? I'm a jack of all trades and did office work for awhile. I'm a pretty good bookkeeper and have thought about doing some online classes in accounting and maybe doing some small business accounting from home. Check out some of the community college websites for online classes and many don't cost hardly anything and you could probably get help with the tuition since you are living on a fixed income from ssi. The one thing I did like about the online classes was that they were pretty much go at your own pace.

Kageegirl
by Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I have a friend who has ms and is wheelchair bound. she has two boys that don't live with her because she is finaicially  unable to support them. she did online schooling and just recently recieved her degree online for I orgot what but it was all funded by the state because she is living off of a fixed income from disablity. she is now looking to pursuing a career from home 3with the degree she recieved.  

bxmom2580
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 5:50 PM
I don't qualify for financial aid bc I owe student loans. I need extra money now so I can pay off my debts

Quoting Kageegirl:

I have a friend who has ms and is wheelchair bound. she has two boys that don't live with her because she is finaicially  unable to support them. she did online schooling and just recently recieved her degree online for I orgot what but it was all funded by the state because she is living off of a fixed income from disablity. she is now looking to pursuing a career from home 3with the degree she recieved.  

DDDaysh
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 6:53 PM

A friend of mine is a health care transcriptionist.  She gets paid by the line and often works when the kids are asleep.  I know that's a shrinking market though, so it might be hard to find a job.  

I've also heard that some pizza places that have call-in numbers let you do that from home.  

Sorry, wish I could be more help!  

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 31, 2013 at 6:34 AM

Hugs and good luck mama!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN