Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Does anyone have Any experience with ankle or leg braces

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 7:07 AM
  • 11 Replies
My dd physical therapist mentioned that she may need braces because her ankles turn in. Does anyone know do braces fix that or would she have to wear them forever?
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 7:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 3:21 PM

My son Jacob his feet turn in and cross each other. He got leg braces at age 3. He is in wheelchair but he will always wear them forever i think.

mandee1503
by Amanda on Oct. 31, 2013 at 3:26 PM
It depends on how well they work. It maybe a short time or long time.
squeekers
http://www.richdemuro.com/home/2014/12/17/how-to-get-a-refund-from-google-play-for-in-app-purchases-your-kids-made-without-your-permission
Today at 12:41 AM
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I had to wear them, and corrective shoes and cast braces for a number of years until my bones & muscles fixed my pidgeon toeing. My neice had to wear ankle braces as she was learning to stand and walk as a condition of her Down Syndrome. Both of us are doing well now.

DDDaysh
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 3:54 PM

How old is she?  Generally the younger the child is when they put on the braces, the more likely they will be to have their bones and muscles grow correctly to not need them in the future.  

Ankle braces are very common.  My former SD used them when she was first learning to walk again after her Ataxia set in.  They helped stop her from toe-walking.  

Jesann
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:42 PM
She is 16 months she isn't walking yet because she has low muscle tone because of her condition.

Quoting DDDaysh:

How old is she?  Generally the younger the child is when they put on the braces, the more likely they will be to have their bones and muscles grow correctly to not need them in the future.  

Ankle braces are very common.  My former SD used them when she was first learning to walk again after her Ataxia set in.  They helped stop her from toe-walking.  

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:55 PM
What is her condition? That may change how long she has to have them. Back when I was a kid, my legs turned in badly and my Dr said I'd outgrow it. I never did and ended up having to do surgery. Not cool. The sooner she starts them, the better the result. She's young enough that hopefully they'll correct quickly
proudmomalexis
by Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 11:10 PM
my daughter has had braces since she was1 yr old. since she has cerebral palsy.She is in a wheelchair. she walks with assistance.The braces help her stand up and walk. I wouldnt be afraid of them.they correct alot .ask your othopedic person or doctor.
SnapShotMama
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:40 PM
My little guy Where's smo's aka ankle braces :)
by Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:46 PM

My 3 year old is being fitted for smo braces because she has flat feet and her ankles turn in. My 6 year old will most likely be fitted for them because of toe walking. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 1, 2013 at 5:24 PM

My 5 year old wore "super shoes" (orthotics) for about 2.5 years.  They helped him immensely and we're so thankful he didn't mind them.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN