Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

My neighbor said he was going to call the cops

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:48 PM
  • 14 Replies

so twice a week I have to get up around 545 to get ready for work and I get the twins up just before 7 and we get ready for school. my boy with bipolar disorder sometimes has a hard time with this. It doesn't matter what we do, what we are doing, what we need to do, what I ask, what I allow, what he wants to do, etc. If he is having anxiety about school, he WILL get mad about something. On these days I tend to offer sweats, but sometimes I forget to offer them, and I just grab jeans so I will say "ok time to put our pants on!" and he goes from 0-60 in a second flat, screaming about the jeans. - for moms with kids with mood disorders I don't need to continue the explanation.

Anyway, we have lived in this apartment for a year, under the same person and recently he has decided he needs to have his own tantrums about the noise. He stomps as loud as he can on his floor which just causes more anxiety in my boy and makes the situation worse. 

anyway Thursday morning we got up and we had a great morning and both boys did really well getting ready and I was praising them on the way to the car and I find a note on my windshield that says "the next time your screaming/stomping child wakes me up before 9 am I WILL be reporting your disturbance of the peace to the police"

well now, first of all, how would that 911 call go. "911 whats your emergency?" "um yes a 4 year old is having a meltdown and I didn't get to sleep in" ?? like really

Our quiet hours at our apartment are 10pm - 6am. we have always abided by this rule, my upstairs neighbor however, has NOT. but we don't complain. stuff happens, we live in an apartment, you will hear other people, we suck it up and we all move on. 

but this made me feel horrible and so frustrated because everything has been frustrating lately and I'm trying SO hard to work on everything and I don't need this added stress of my neighbor. so I called my apartment manager, because our heat stopped working that night and I needed to call him anyway. So I told him about the note and I explain to him that my child has special needs and we are doing what we can, we are working on it and it was rude of my neighbor. I was upset.

he talked to my neighbor and this guy didn't know my boy has special needs and told our manager "oh no i guess I owe her an apology" so he felt like an ass. so I feel a bit of victory there. 

-this was mostly venting

by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
letstalk747
by Joy on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:04 PM

well , it went ok then , i hope him saying that makes you feel better

AllyB_
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this

it did! finally a piece of good news at the end of a long long week

Quoting letstalk747:

well , it went ok then , i hope him saying that makes you feel better

mandee1503
by Amanda on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:16 PM
2 moms liked this

Yeah I'd egg his door. Lol at least he felt bad after he realized your son wasn't being that way intentionally. 

raysma07
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I am glad he apoligized !

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:44 PM

I'm glad it worked out and he is more understanding. If he hadn't been I'd have egged his door. haha

AllyB_
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 12:22 AM
1 mom liked this

my 14 year old suggested we tape a tampon to his door XD

Quoting Linagma03:

I'm glad it worked out and he is more understanding. If he hadn't been I'd have egged his door. haha

Mipsy
by Chelle on Nov. 2, 2013 at 12:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Regardless if your child is sn, your neighbor is a jerk! The police would just laugh in his face. You're following the noise ordinance, he has no valid complaint! I'd file a complaint about his stomping and tantrums though(the neighbors tantrums).
AllyB_
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 12:46 AM
1 mom liked this

RRRIGHT. I want to tell him that IF he ever apologizes to my face. 'oh sorry i didn't know your kid had special needs' welllll even if my kid didnt you were still being ridiculous. I posted his note on facebook and it blew up with my friends and familys comments. like you're a grown man, sleeping until 9am should not be that big of a deal. especially since our quiet hours end at SIX. he moves out in three weeks because him and his girlfriend are getting married. my manager told me that and I told him, well I hope he doesn't have kids because then he sure won't be sleeping until 9am

Quoting Mipsy:

Regardless if your child is sn, your neighbor is a jerk! The police would just laugh in his face. You're following the noise ordinance, he has no valid complaint! I'd file a complaint about his stomping and tantrums though(the neighbors tantrums).

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 2, 2013 at 6:06 AM

Hugs mama!  Regardless, you are doing the best you can and quiet hours are 10-6, so he can get over it if it's after 6:00 in the morning.  

valleymomma1
by Bronze Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I am so glad that your neighbour now understands what a relief.  My little guy hates jeans to.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)