Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

kids who has seizures

Posted by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 10:03 AM
  • 15 Replies

hi my name is Brandy.My daughter is 8 years old and she has focal 2nd generlized seizures if anyone knows about them can u tell me what your daughter does or how long he/she had them for

by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Codysmom2106
by Bronze Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Welcome to the group! We don't have anyone with seizures here but I hope someone else in the group can help.

mandee1503
by Amanda on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Welcome! My son has seizures but they are absence. Where he just stares off and can't snap out of them easily. Sometimes he acts confused after.
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Welcome to the Group. Lina has several different kinds of seizures and I haven't been told that any are named what you have said. She has grand mal, petite mal, isolated, absence ones. The absence ones are her most common. 99% of her seizures happen while she is asleep and unless she has one of the mal kind we don't know she is having one. She is on Keppra 18 ml every 12 hours & trileptol 6 ml every 12 hours. From hindsight we know that she's been having them since she was around 2-2.5 years old but very far apart and that is why we didn't know she was having them and they were absence seizures in her sleep. After having one she would vomit and be lethargic and then 4+ weeks would go by before she'd do it again. She has been officially dx'd since she was 7 and began seizing at school and it took almost 6 hours before they got them under control. She just kept having seizure after seizure, grand mals, petite mals and absence seizures that showed on the eeg only. It was scary as heck sitting in the ER watching all that going on. She spent 36 hours in hospital. Then we went thru the process of increasing meds, seizures, blood work until they got to a certain level of Keppra then added the Trileptol slowly increasing that until it appears that the 2 are controlling the seizures. After a grand or petite mal she will sleep for a couple hours, after absence seizures she is sometimes confused, sometimes lethargic & sometimes perfectly normal depends on how long the seizure lasted with her they last 15-40 seconds. Absence seizures are like someone shuts the lights off for a short time then they come back on. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 2, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Welcome!  My son has Gelastric and Absence seizures.  

bsm2231
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 9:33 PM

my daughter been having her eyes roll back in her head and its been going on at school sense last spring in the summer we haven't notice it and then she started going back to school aug and her eye been starting to roll back in her head at school again so i took her to her family dr and he told me to take her to riley hospital and they did a EEG on 9/26/2013 and she had to stay over night.and she had to have a MRI done on 10/16/2013

letstalk747
by Joy on Nov. 2, 2013 at 9:44 PM

welcome Brandy , im joy

my son had seizures at birth ,   started  meds  none since that i have seen

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:26 AM

Do you have results from EEG and MRI yet?  

Quoting bsm2231:

my daughter been having her eyes roll back in her head and its been going on at school sense last spring in the summer we haven't notice it and then she started going back to school aug and her eye been starting to roll back in her head at school again so i took her to her family dr and he told me to take her to riley hospital and they did a EEG on 9/26/2013 and she had to stay over night.and she had to have a MRI done on 10/16/2013

bsm2231
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:27 AM

yes i do darbyakeep45

Mipsy
by Chelle on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Did they find they are indeed seizures? Are you guys meeting with a neurologist? If they are seizures (which sounds like they could be to me), seek out an epileptologist. They are a neurologist but specialize in seizures.

My son has grand mals and absence seizures.
bsm2231
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:40 AM

she has a neurologist she has focal and 2nd generalized Mipsy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)