Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

He has missed to much school

Posted by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:35 PM
  • 21 Replies

So got a letter today from Jacobs school. He has missed to much school. it was 5 days. So they going to call us so we can set up a time to meet with someone.    He gets bad sinus infections and at same time bad ear infection with a fever.He does not talk that good yet so he cant say if he sick or ear hurts. And 1 day i got him out early cause he had not went pee all day. And his pull up wet often. So we got worried.  So anyway what i dont understand is school rule. You have a fever so next day even if you doing better you need to stay home cause you need to be fever free 24 hours. But that still goes against him. I have even sent him to school coughing and his teacher will send a note with him. That he is coughing bad and they using the things on everything to kill his germs. Well then we feel bad and keep him home next day .  So what to we do. Send him to school sick ? I dont want to get in trouble.  Monday im calling doc and im getting all of  his doc records on why he at doc ect.     Anyone else get this letter ? Anything else i need to get ?

And Jacobs dad is mad cause friday we got a note from Jacobs teacher. Starting Monday Jacob will be on the bus. We had no  say in this. He rides a van with a lift cause he in wheelchair. Well i talked to his teacher and they got a new student in a wheelchair. And this student needs the van more. jacob in wheel chair !  So i guess they only have 1 van to deal with a child with special needs. Cory feels they just do what they want. I hope for the best that he likes it. But im worried.   Sorry had to vent.

by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I haven't had this happen with Lina and last year she missed probably close to 4x's what the State says a kid can miss before there is a problem. Most of the time I had taken her to the Dr, other times I had kept her home because of being sick but not sick enough to go to the Dr. I think here because it is Special Education and she is in a self-contained class with very limited general education interaction, (only recess, lunch, music, library & maybe PE) and the para's are always there for those times also. 

I had worried about that until after talking to her teacher when she transistioned from the Preschool program to Elementary school and she assured me that in the case of the kids that are in the self-contained classes there isn't the same missed days proceedure. I never have sent a note I just called the school. They did begin last year having that automated attendance calling system call me on the days that Lina missed that I hadn't called in early enough and I thought that was strange but still no letter or phone call about her missed days. 

I'd just take all the information that you have just in case you need it. I'd also make sure to remind them of the policy of 24 hours fever free before they can go back to school. It is a pain because they don't want the kids to miss school but they have proceedures to try to keep the rest of the kids from getting sick which means that even when the kids are feeling fine they can't go back to school.           Rock & a Hard place. 

Good Luck!!!!! 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 2, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Hugs mama!  You should be able to get a letter from his doctor stating his medical problems and you should be able to get him exempt from the school's rules/policies...you can't help when he's sick.  

N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Im not sure if his doc will be much help. The last time he was sick i asked her if i should keep him home next day . She told me no. send him to class. He had a sinus infection and ear infection.  I was reading over school rules and out of the school year they can ONLY miss 10 days.   Im just trying to do stuff the right way.  

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Hugs mama!  You should be able to get a letter from his doctor stating his medical problems and you should be able to get him exempt from the school's rules/policies...you can't help when he's sick.  

N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 5:32 PM

I was reading the school rules handbook. Out of the school year the child can only miss 10 days.

Quoting Linagma03:

I haven't had this happen with Lina and last year she missed probably close to 4x's what the State says a kid can miss before there is a problem. Most of the time I had taken her to the Dr, other times I had kept her home because of being sick but not sick enough to go to the Dr. I think here because it is Special Education and she is in a self-contained class with very limited general education interaction, (only recess, lunch, music, library & maybe PE) and the para's are always there for those times also. 

I had worried about that until after talking to her teacher when she transistioned from the Preschool program to Elementary school and she assured me that in the case of the kids that are in the self-contained classes there isn't the same missed days proceedure. I never have sent a note I just called the school. They did begin last year having that automated attendance calling system call me on the days that Lina missed that I hadn't called in early enough and I thought that was strange but still no letter or phone call about her missed days. 

I'd just take all the information that you have just in case you need it. I'd also make sure to remind them of the policy of 24 hours fever free before they can go back to school. It is a pain because they don't want the kids to miss school but they have proceedures to try to keep the rest of the kids from getting sick which means that even when the kids are feeling fine they can't go back to school.           Rock & a Hard place. 

Good Luck!!!!! 

Rosielyn
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

All I can say at least you got a letter from the school your child is attending , we did not get that all we got was a call from the state the school our child was attending turned us in on terance. Talk about a headach and to visit with the caseworker poor thing she didnt know what to think when I dropped the file that I have on the table that has all appointments that our daughter has ever had ,she would ask ? and well hold on let me find what you are asking , then we also had a meeting with school i was so pissed I tossed our child's meds at the teacher and asked her how in the world can a child come to school if the meds knocks your child out and she needs them to make her feel better,  we had been turned  in even though they had all information about our daughters medical issues. After all was said and done the school ended up looking like idots. Case work told us to make sure we turn in all dr appointments that we take her too . SO MAKE SURE EVER TIME YOU TAKE SON TO DR. THAT YOU GET AND TAKE IN THAT SLIP ASK DR'S OFFICE FOR TWO ONE FOR YOUR OWN RECROD AND ONE FOR THE SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck on this.

N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Thank you for the advice

Quoting Rosielyn:

All I can say at least you got a letter from the school your child is attending , we did not get that all we got was a call from the state the school our child was attending turned us in on terance. Talk about a headach and to visit with the caseworker poor thing she didnt know what to think when I dropped the file that I have on the table that has all appointments that our daughter has ever had ,she would ask ? and well hold on let me find what you are asking , then we also had a meeting with school i was so pissed I tossed our child's meds at the teacher and asked her how in the world can a child come to school if the meds knocks your child out and she needs them to make her feel better,  we had been turned  in even though they had all information about our daughters medical issues. After all was said and done the school ended up looking like idots. Case work told us to make sure we turn in all dr appointments that we take her too . SO MAKE SURE EVER TIME YOU TAKE SON TO DR. THAT YOU GET AND TAKE IN THAT SLIP ASK DR'S OFFICE FOR TWO ONE FOR YOUR OWN RECROD AND ONE FOR THE SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck on this.

Cindy18
by Silver Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 6:06 PM

You should be able to take a note from a doctor into the school and get this matter cleared up. 

As for the bus, is it wheelchair assessable? 

Rosielyn
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 6:06 PM

PS. She also missed the 1st 4 weeks of school due to neck surgery, the school even tried counting those days even  though she was homebond. we had the documentation for this, not just missing school due to her medical issues but the fact that her speacicalist is out of state so when getting to one of many of theese appointments you need travle time it didnt seem to matter to them. Sorry it seems like I too needed to vent on this matter . about children who miss school due to medical issues that the school is aware of and the treat the parent and child with out respect.

jjamom
by Michele on Nov. 2, 2013 at 6:17 PM
My son has already missed about that number if days as well, mostly from appts. He missed a day or two from a bad cold, and two days in the first week because we went on vacation (prior to Labor Day). No one has ever said anything to me about my son's missed days. Last year he missed this many and then several in Nov, Dec, Jan from illnesses, because he just kept getting sick. I always had documentation from doctors visits, in case we were asked, but no one ever has, beyond our notes to the office for absences.
letstalk747
by Joy on Nov. 2, 2013 at 10:03 PM

this hasent happened with us , when you meet with the school staff just explain his health they should  then expect this to be happening and understand ,

the wheelchair bus issue aint cool at all- they cant do that , maybe its another wheelchair bus

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)