Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

"Autism" symptoms caused by seizures?

Posted by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:43 PM
  • 13 Replies
My dd (6) is dx PDD- nos and SID. But she just failed her EEG. She sees Neuro in dec to asses damage/ seizure dx possibility. Now her PDD dx is a preliminary dx till we finish this latest round of testing (6th round since birth, no solid dx). They have ruled out ODD, ADHD/ADD, and learning disorder.
Could her behaviors be caused by a seizure disorder or is this on top of everything else?
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Seizure disorder is a strange one because it involves a part of the body that the Dr's are still learning about. There are so many types of seizures and since each person is different to begin with the answer to your question is YES seizures can cause behavior issues. Also seizures could be the result of the behaviors, or there is something else going on and it is just difficult to figure out because she could be having a few symptoms of this, that and something else. There are lots of Dr's who are hesitant to dx a child with one thing and later find out that isn't what is going on. It's a hard road for everyone at times unless there is a clear cut smack you in the face thing. Given that so many new issues are showing up in kids because science learns more and more about how a brain functions, plus the genetics and what genes do what I can see where it gets harder and harder for a Dr to want to say "Yes your child has xyz". It gets frustrating when there is an obivious issue but they can't find a reason for it and therefore can't decide on what to do about it or what to call it. 

I hope you get some answers soon about all of this. Good Luck! 

Monkiebut
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Oh I know! It's hard cause she needs OT badly but insurance won't pay w/o a dx.

Quoting Linagma03:

Seizure disorder is a strange one because it involves a part of the body that the Dr's are still learning about. There are so many types of seizures and since each person is different to begin with the answer to your question is YES seizures can cause behavior issues. Also seizures could be the result of the behaviors, or there is something else going on and it is just difficult to figure out because she could be having a few symptoms of this, that and something else. There are lots of Dr's who are hesitant to dx a child with one thing and later find out that isn't what is going on. It's a hard road for everyone at times unless there is a clear cut smack you in the face thing. Given that so many new issues are showing up in kids because science learns more and more about how a brain functions, plus the genetics and what genes do what I can see where it gets harder and harder for a Dr to want to say "Yes your child has xyz". It gets frustrating when there is an obivious issue but they can't find a reason for it and therefore can't decide on what to do about it or what to call it. 

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I know that one. There is that book that the insurance companies go by I can't remember the name of it but it has the syndromes, diseases etc in it and what the symptoms are and what a person has to have to fall into that dx. I know that doctors go by it too. I know that it is very indepth but at times I don't think there is wiggle room for some things. The book is really good because it really helps a doctor figure things out that he/she isn't familiar with and helps them send a kid or adult in the right direction. Yet it can be a downfall for some people. Is there any physical thing that can be causing her need for OT? Like some kind of muscle malformation?, bone structure? I don't know exactly what I'm asking but just grabbing at straws for you. 

I got lucky, if you can call it that, with Lina in that with her mother's history of drugs and alcohol use during pregnancy, the obvious physical, mental, & emotional issues she displayed her initial dx was FASE borderline which got her EI and therapies. At 5 she was seen again and since progress wasn't what had been expected she was sent for genetic testing which showed her real issue with probably a small amount of added problem from her mother's alcohol & drug usage. So Lina will continue to get all her needs met with no problems from the insurance because we have the genetic test results. On top of the examinations and reviews and medical dx's that she has now too. 

Quoting Monkiebut:

Oh I know! It's hard cause she needs OT badly but insurance won't pay w/o a dx.

Quoting Linagma03:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 2, 2013 at 5:03 PM

So, did her EEG show seizure activity?  Has she ever had a physical seizure?  Seizure activity in the brain can definitely cause issues in a person's neurological state.  Personally, I don't believe seizures cause Autism though.

Monkiebut
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 5:24 PM
She has had "unproven" seizures, ones that were not recorded. I first noticed when she was 3 she had shaking spells but her pedi said it was prob just a tantrum. Now she has starring spells and she showed a low threshold for seizures in the 30 min she was hooked up.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

So, did her EEG show seizure activity?  Has she ever had a physical seizure?  Seizure activity in the brain can definitely cause issues in a person's neurological state.  Personally, I don't believe seizures cause Autism though.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 2, 2013 at 5:51 PM

One easy way to tell with the staring spells is if you can't stop her from staring or get her to snap out of it, then it's a seizure.  Make sense?

Quoting Monkiebut:

She has had "unproven" seizures, ones that were not recorded. I first noticed when she was 3 she had shaking spells but her pedi said it was prob just a tantrum. Now she has starring spells and she showed a low threshold for seizures in the 30 min she was hooked up.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Monkiebut
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Ya, her therapist called the doc about the starring spells. She spaces out a lot but I never noticed anything special, ya know? But I could just be used to it too

Quoting darbyakeep45:

One easy way to tell with the staring spells is if you can't stop her from staring or get her to snap out of it, then it's a seizure.  Make sense?

Quoting Monkiebut:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 2, 2013 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Definitely...you could be used to it if it's been going on for a long time.  Next time she spaces out like that, see if you can get her to snap out of it.  

Quoting Monkiebut:

Ya, her therapist called the doc about the starring spells. She spaces out a lot but I never noticed anything special, ya know? But I could just be used to it too

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Quoting Monkiebut:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

letstalk747
by Joy on Nov. 2, 2013 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this

thats a good question for her DR'S , I HAVE NEVER HEARD ANYTHING THAT SEIZURES CAUSE AUTISM

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Quoting letstalk747:

thats a good question for her DR'S , I HAVE NEVER HEARD ANYTHING THAT SEIZURES CAUSE AUTISM

I think what is being said is this: Can seizures cause autism like symptoms.  Not that seizures cause autism.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN