Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Meltdowns and tantrums...at my end!!

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:39 AM
  • 5 Replies

I am the mom of an 8 yr old son, who is Autistic. Up until about a month ago he was a happy little guy, he engaged well, listen fairly well to rules and loved to be home schooled by me! I have no idea what happened but seemingly over night he changed. He refuses to sleep in his bed, he is sleeping in the middle of the house on the sofa, forcing the house to shut down every night by 8 o'clock, which is especially hard on our 14 year old daughter!! He has become a complete terror, refusing to listen, yelling, stomping and has now begun hitting himself! He is obviously very agitated and full of anxiety, he is mostly non verbal so can not explain to us what he is feeling. He will only do school with me if it is on his terms, which involves coloring a picture to post on the classroom wall. He wakes in the morning and it begins immediately...the yelling and telling us what to do. He is having tantrums in the stores now as well, I feel like my life has come to a complete standstill, I am unable to leave without there being a meltdown or tantrum!! I am frustrated and at my end. I am a stay at home mom and home school full time, I am exhausted. Have any other moms been through this?..Please help!

by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
letstalk747
by Joy on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:12 PM

what has changed  in the household if anything ?

did you start homeschooling for this school year like a month or 2 ago - it may be   the change of starting school  , may be a growth spurt ?

why do you think he wants to sleep on the couch now-has something changed in the household

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Hugs Mama. 

Age 8, maybe puberty hormones starting??  My NT son is 10 and started acting tweeny in his later 8's.  Now he's stinky and hairy at 10 and grew 5 inches last year.  

Sleeping on couch - did he view something Halloween scary and just can't say he's scared?  Maybe he's wanting to be around people or something odd happened in his room that he is afraid to sleep in there?

If he can't tell you, have you talked to his doc or behavioral therapist about the change?  Maybe they could give you some answers or run some tests.  I have a 5 year old non-verbal daughter.  I won't lie, we go to doc a lot when I suspect something off with her medically as she just can't tell me a thing.  Even if they find nothing, I feel better we went since she couldn't voice her comfort level.

Best of luck.  Hope you figure it out soon! 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 3, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Hugs mama!  These ladies have some good thoughts.

Is he in any kind of therapy?  Maybe behavioral therapy...ABA?  I would consult with them if I were you to get some ideas and help.  There's also an Autism group here on CM you can check out too.  Good luck!

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Welcome to the group. With mine she is 10 but not on the spectrum, she has other delays & issues. Routine is extremely important to her and she has gotten more rigid in not wanting to change even the smallest thing unless it is her idea. From being in this group I know that for some kids no matter what their diagnosis is even the smallest change in routine, decoration, sounds, textures and many other things that we wouldn't think about are to much for them to adjust to. The other ladies had suggested some good things. It is hard I know that. I am not experienced with the severe meltdowns. 

Good Luck Momma! 

JOEJULA
by Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 7:19 PM
wow...you are a wonderful mother for homeschooling your little one. I have a friend who's son is autistic and has major meltdowns. They use to stick sofa cushions in the car so the son wouldn't bang his head on the glass window. She is extremely patient, and takes him to lots of therapy. I do not think they medicate him though. Have you though about public school to give you a break?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN