Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Is he just tuning me out or could it be something else?

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:11 PM
  • 11 Replies

This might just seem silly. Maybe it is, I hope it is and nothing more but I'm wondering...

my son Maxx who is 4 is seriously the spaciest kid ever. Him and his twin were late to talk and when they tested his hearing and passed perfectly I was LITERALLY shocked to my core that he didn't have hearing loss. I really thought he did because you can say his name a trillion times and he just doesn't respond. Another example, we'll be getting ready in the morning and I'm standing next to his shoes and he is maybe 6 feet away from me and I say "ok Maxx, get your shoes on" and nothing, he's just walking around (sometimes singing a song to himself) looking at something, doing whatever, and I keep asking him and he is just in his own little world. Just a few minutes ago he asked me to take his costume off so he's standing in front of me and I take the top part off and I say "ok sit down" (so i can take the pants part off) and he just stands there. "sit down" nothing "sit down" nothing "Maxx! sit down!" and I have to help him sit down because I'm impatient. 

could it be auidtory processing disorder? what would that look like?

is he just a ditz? (people think I am so did he just get it from me!? :P)

what in the world could it be, should I be concerned? should I have him assessed for anything?

(also, I'm not the only one that notices this, everyone notices it)

background info if it helps: he was born 4 weeks early and in the NICU for 3 weeks. he had low birth weight (5lbs, got down to 4 in the NICU). He is a twin and his twin has bipolar disorder/anxiety. which runs in the family

by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DyslexiaParent
by Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Sounds like you need a comprehensive neuropsychological evaluation to figure out what's going on.  Not sure what might be going on so I'd go for an eval...Meanwhile, I'd probably assume there is an underlying neurological basis for Maxx's difficulties. It may be hard, but maintaining a loving, encouraging countenance may help him at least feel better about his self.  Getting to that impatient point and yelling at him just won't lead to anything good. :-(  Hope you can get some good answers.

AllyB_
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:06 PM

sounds like a good idea. His twin is having a neuropscyh eval for bipolar disorder etc so I can make an appointment at the same place. 

I've been trying to get him to look at people when they say his name because once you get his attention it's easier (doesn't always fix it but it helps)

Quoting DyslexiaParent:

Sounds like you need a comprehensive neuropsychological evaluation to figure out what's going on.  Not sure what might be going on so I'd go for an eval...Meanwhile, I'd probably assume there is an underlying neurological basis for Maxx's difficulties. It may be hard, but maintaining a loving, encouraging countenance may help him at least feel better about his self.  Getting to that impatient point and yelling at him just won't lead to anything good. :-(  Hope you can get some good answers.

DyslexiaParent
by Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:15 PM

That little bit about the eye-contact makes me think there may very well be something going on with an LD of some kind.  When my dude was young, he had a very difficult time with eye contact.  We were able to do much better when we would say, "Look at me.. You need to..." It DOES help!

Quoting AllyB_:

sounds like a good idea. His twin is having a neuropscyh eval for bipolar disorder etc so I can make an appointment at the same place. 

I've been trying to get him to look at people when they say his name because once you get his attention it's easier (doesn't always fix it but it helps)

SandyKC
M.S. Instructional Design, Homeschooling Mom of "Light of My Life" Boys,
Author, Individualized Instruction Design Consultant

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 6:46 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with getting him an evaluation. In the meantime, maybe try touching him to get his attention, have him look you in the eye when you talk to him, or maybe try flipping the lights on and off, clapping, or stomping your feet if you can't get to him to touch him.
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Im thinking he has some sensory issues, and some auditory processing problems... 

Auditory processing looks like inattention, as well as missing the 4 words out of every 10 word sentence. They are very distracted, hyperfocused on other things, fixated on something else and your speaking doesnt get through.. 

With the sensory, if he has auditory sensory issues, he is busy tuning out EVERYTHING else he is hearing, the birds outside, the car up the street, the heater kicking on, the fridge running, the tv in the background.. ALL of that is getting in.. There is no "filter" and when you speak, its among the birrage of information coming in... What IS your mind supposed to focus on when all thta is coming at you at the same level?

The moms who suggested touching to get attention is a perfect idea.  As far as the "looking" goes, my son with sensory issues says it is HARD for him to focus on what people are saying if he has to look at their face.. He gets caught up in paying attentikn the their eyes, their wrinkles, their mouths moving, that he cant give the WORDS the attention.. So it helps him to close his eyes, or lookat their forehead, or their neck.... Something less distractable so he can LISTEN.. The important thing aboutlistenng HE says, is the having your mind be quiet... ;) 

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Good Luck. I have no experience here. I hope that you can get him evaulated as well. 

Jenniy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:09 PM

His brain might not know what to do with the sound.  My youngest has perfect hearing but they don't know how his brain processes sound. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Good luck mama...I'd definitely get him evaluated...hugs!

AllyB_
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:26 PM

this is very interesting to consider because he is a chewer. He literally puts everything in his mouth. e v e r y t h i n g . 

do you think its related!?

Quoting SamMom912:

Im thinking he has some sensory issues, and some auditory processing problems... 

Auditory processing looks like inattention, as well as missing the 4 words out of every 10 word sentence. They are very distracted, hyperfocused on other things, fixated on something else and your speaking doesnt get through.. 

With the sensory, if he has auditory sensory issues, he is busy tuning out EVERYTHING else he is hearing, the birds outside, the car up the street, the heater kicking on, the fridge running, the tv in the background.. ALL of that is getting in.. There is no "filter" and when you speak, its among the birrage of information coming in... What IS your mind supposed to focus on when all thta is coming at you at the same level?

The moms who suggested touching to get attention is a perfect idea.  As far as the "looking" goes, my son with sensory issues says it is HARD for him to focus on what people are saying if he has to look at their face.. He gets caught up in paying attentikn the their eyes, their wrinkles, their mouths moving, that he cant give the WORDS the attention.. So it helps him to close his eyes, or lookat their forehead, or their neck.... Something less distractable so he can LISTEN.. The important thing aboutlistenng HE says, is the having your mind be quiet... ;) 

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this

To sensory.. Absolutely! 

Quoting AllyB_:

this is very interesting to consider because he is a chewer. He literally puts everything in his mouth. e v e r y t h i n g . 

do you think its related!?

Quoting SamMom912:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN