Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Amblyopia

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:30 PM
  • 30 Replies

Anyone's kids have amblyopia (also called lazy eye)?  My 5 year old daughter was dx today.  Has to get glasses to wear full time and a patch to wear over the eye for like 1-2 hours a day I think.  Just wondering if anyone else has this, how did your kids do getting use to the glasses/patch, did they outgrow it?  She's excited about picking out glasses at the moment, not sure if that will last or not!

by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:40 PM

No experience, but here's a bump. 

Mipsy
by Chelle on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:30 AM
1 mom liked this
No experience personally but I know nowadays they have cute patches with designs and stuff on them
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Brady has strabismis, but not a lazy eye...they are different.  Hugs mama!

jjamom
by Michele on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:46 AM
I have no experience, but good luck!

Is this your child with DS? Have you checked out Specs for Us? The owner/designer is an optometrist who has a daughter with DS and created a line of eyeglasses to fit the unique features of kids with DS (flatter nose bridge, wider set eyes, smaller faces, etc). I have a lot if friends whose kids LOVE the glasses because unlike many, they fit them so well.

ETA: here is a link. http://specs4us.com/
Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Thankfully, no.  It is my other daughter.  My little one already has the hearing aids she doesn't want to keep on, I imagine glasses would not be any better!!  But she is still being watched for things and if they progress will need them so I'm going to write down this info to keep on file for  her just in case!!  Thanks! 

Quoting jjamom:

Is this your child with DS? Have you checked out Specs for Us? The owner/designer is an optometrist who has a daughter with DS and created a line of eyeglasses to fit the unique features of kids with DS (flatter nose bridge, wider set eyes, smaller faces, etc). I have a lot if friends whose kids LOVE the glasses because unlike many, they fit them so well.

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:54 AM
No, Zack had something else. I forget the name. We did glasses and patches for a long time, but it didn't help. He had to have surgery to correct it.

with his, the muscles on one side of his eyeball was too long which made the other side weak. So it would pull in toward his nose all the time. The surgery was pretty quick and successful. His vision is perfect.

Jeremiah is waiting to be checked for it too. We've noticed it with both his eyes, and so have his teachers.
alyssasmommy312
by Angela on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Alyssa was diagnosed with amblyopia when she was a year, and NYSTAGMUS  when she was 6 months old.  So patching has been part of her life for a long time,  She just started wearing glasses whithen the last couple years.  The glasses kinda irritated her at first, especially the nose part, since she wasnt used to wearing them,  I would suggest maybe working up to wearing it full time, and let her get used to wearing them.  Alyssa doesnt even really notice them now.  And she actually doesnt wear glasses as a result of her previous eye conditions but, because she developed  astigmatism.  So the glasses are there top help straighten her eyes a little more and to help with her sight.  

If she has to do quite a bit of patching I would suggest looking up cloth patches that maybe attatch to her glasses.  Be very proactive in getting the patching done, it will definately help strengthen the weak eye, and once they hit 7, their eyes are pretty  much set in their ways and not much more you can do to fix this problem.  

It does not take long for them to get used to wearing the glasses/patch, just make sure you do it while they are occupied maybe watching tv, or doing a game, something to keep their minds off of it, keep them active during that time of patching so they dont think about it.

Also she has had about 3 surgeries on her eyes starting at 9 months, to try to correct her problem.

alwaysbelieve
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:32 AM

My dd2 was dx with amblyopia at 8 months. She has been in glasses since. Initially, she was patched most of the day. Gradually, we had to reduce the time due to her not cooperating. 
She is now 17 and in contacts-yeah, that shocked me too-she also drives. (I have to admit when I'm in the car when she's driving, she does a GREAT job...but every now I then I think "Wait a tick, she can't see! Oh God!" 

jjamom
by Michele on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Sorry, I couldn't remember her age, exactly!

My son doesn't need glasses "quite yet" was the way our opthamalogist put it, but most definitely will in the future.

Good luck with everything!

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Thankfully, no.  It is my other daughter.  My little one already has the hearing aids she doesn't want to keep on, I imagine glasses would not be any better!!  But she is still being watched for things and if they progress will need them so I'm going to write down this info to keep on file for  her just in case!!  Thanks! 

Quoting jjamom:

DDDaysh
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I've never known anyone to completely outgrow it, even with patching, but usually it does get a little better.  

I had glasses, but never patched, and my right eye is still way weaker than my left one.  My little brother had glasses and patched, and his right eye is still way weaker than his left one too.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)