Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Avoiding Night Terrors

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 7:56 PM
  • 13 Replies

Any suggestions for avoiding night terrors during the holidays?

We do a pretty good job keeping them away the rest of the year (for the most part). She had one Halloween. So, i'm already worried about the holidays since we celebrate each holiday several times. She gets the night terrors because she misses her nap. She won't sleep at people's houses (even if i lay with her). There's just too much excitement.

I have been known in the past to drive her around in the car lol. But that really sucks. I end up missing lots of the celebration because i'm driving her around trying to get her to sleep....then waiting for her to nap. Although, i'd take that over the alternative. Sometimes she'll even have a melt down before we leave!

Any suggestions or am I in for a lot of driving? lol.

by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 7:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
letstalk747
by Joy on Nov. 9, 2013 at 9:53 PM

i just didnt go to many or any some years , it was just too much for my kid

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:48 AM

Hugs mama...no experience with this.

mandee1503
by Amanda on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:51 AM
*hugs* I don't have experience.
crazy4chapstick
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 2:26 PM
Thanks ladies.
We end up doing 2 thanksgiving's & 3 Christmas's due to my parents being split up. It's exhausting on all of us, especially my girl.
Thinking of excusing myself mid- day & bringing her home to nap. That may take as long as driving around, but she might be more comfortable.
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm no help but here's a HUG for you! We could never find a reason for Lina's night terrors. 

crazy4chapstick
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:51 PM

we found that most of hers are from being too tired.

if she gets to bed too late (i really kick myself when i lose track of time at night) or if she's had a long exciting day...like a holiday....but there's also the option she will have a super big melt down before we get home that's just as bad or worse than the night terror. so either way we are in for it! it's hard on us....but  it's really hard on her. i hate having to watch her get so worked up.

Quoting Linagma03:

I'm no help but here's a HUG for you! We could never find a reason for Lina's night terrors. 

lillettemomma
by Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 7:19 PM
Personally I would stay home....is there anyway your parents could come visit u over the holidays around her schedule?
crazy4chapstick
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 3:47 PM

you would think...but no lol

Quoting lillettemomma:

Personally I would stay home....is there anyway your parents could come visit u over the holidays around her schedule?

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this
How far do you go from home? If its not too far, I'd take her home for a break. If its too far, maybe try giving her some melatonin at lunch time and maybe she'll be ready to rest after.

I know how you feel. Mine don't get night terrors but they do get super grumpy, over stimulated, and then its meltdown city
crazy4chapstick
by Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 1:21 PM

it's about 20 minutes for our first celebration and 30 minutes away for our second celebration.

we usually spend the entire day with family....

we have kittens that will probably need to be feed also....so it may be a good excuse to come home for a break and hopefully she can settle down and nap.
i think this is what we will have to do.

Quoting arkansasmama08:

How far do you go from home? If its not too far, I'd take her home for a break. If its too far, maybe try giving her some melatonin at lunch time and maybe she'll be ready to rest after.

I know how you feel. Mine don't get night terrors but they do get super grumpy, over stimulated, and then its meltdown city

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)