Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

14 year old with bipolar, what happens if I call police for help calming him down

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 9:34 PM
  • 14 Replies

If I get to the point where I can't control him, or I think he might throw something and hurt someone or I think he might run away, and I call the police to help keep him in one place until he calms down, what happens? will they take him? will they admit him to the pscyh unit? will cps get involved? is there a chance I might lose guardianship?

by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
raysma07
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 9:46 PM

I would assume but totally sure depending on the situation. Yes they could get involved to protect you or himself from getting hurt. 

letstalk747
by Joy on Nov. 9, 2013 at 9:48 PM

i dont know , i think depends on how he acts where he goes  im sure

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:49 AM

I'm really not sure mama...hugs!

Cindy18
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I'm thinking it will all depend on how he acts when they arrive. All of the things you mentioned are probable actions that could be taken. Also, calling the police should only be used as an extreme last resort. 

There was a mom on here (not in this group) that was raising her neice and nephew. The boy has extreme issues, he is 9. The police were called and did take him to jail for the night. So said someone on the internet, she seemed genuine, though. 

drowningmama
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I dont know.  My son is the same way and he is 10.

Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:53 PM
I think they would take him to a psych unit. There were a few boys at my school who had emotional problems and had to be transported from school to the hospital by the police due to severe outbursts.

Why are you worried about cps and losing guardianship? Is he injuring other children in your home?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AllyB_
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:20 PM

No he isn't hurting anyone, and I know we're all safe. I'm his legal guardian because his brother died last spring (he was his guardian) I'm new to the whole thing so I don't know much about it, I don't know if they would come back and have a problem with me

Quoting Bluecalm:

I think they would take him to a psych unit. There were a few boys at my school who had emotional problems and had to be transported from school to the hospital by the police due to severe outbursts.

Why are you worried about cps and losing guardianship? Is he injuring other children in your home?

Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:34 PM
Is there anyone you could ask like his therapist? I understand not wanting to take the chance.

Quoting AllyB_:

No he isn't hurting anyone, and I know we're all safe. I'm his legal guardian because his brother died last spring (he was his guardian) I'm new to the whole thing so I don't know much about it, I don't know if they would come back and have a problem with me

Quoting Bluecalm:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AllyB_
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this

you just reminded me! his therapist office always has someone on call and they will come to your house if you need them. I totally forgot about this, thank you! 

Quoting Bluecalm:

Is there anyone you could ask like his therapist? I understand not wanting to take the chance.

Quoting AllyB_:

Quoting Bluecalm:

Pukalani79
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I was told that if I felt like things were getting out of control, to call her therapist's office right away, then they'd let me know what to do from there

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)