Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

are children with high functioning autism affectionate?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 9:38 PM
  • 15 Replies

I posted yesterday at Matty having his initial intake with the pscyhologist and he mentioned the comorbid diagnosis of bipolar and autism but he has only seen Matty once and now I'm freaking out that they might diagnose him with autism.

but I don't think he is because he is extremely extremely affectionate. He loves to hug and kiss and he randomly tells you he loves you and he is very caring. he always thinks of others. when he gets a candy at the end of speech therapy he always asks to take a candy for his brother. if you hand him two cookies, he always gives one to his brother. he has been sharing his halloween candy with his uncle and he ENJOYS doing that. he loves helping people and being a helper. 

I don't know much about autism, but don't children on the spectrum tend to not be touchy feely and don't tend to be as affectionate? sorry if that is way off base I dont' want to offend anyone, I just don't know much about the disorder

by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shugerbit
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 9:58 PM
My son is low functioning and is affectionate. He gives hugs, but doesn't know how to kiss me so he leans his head in for me to kiss it. I think that is one trait that some May have, but not all, no two kids are alike. I think that is a misconception that many people have.
AllyB_
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 10:01 PM

My gut is telling me he doesn't have autism. I worried when he was about 18 months old that he might be so I looked for the red flags. I feel like someone would have noticed before now. he's been in speech therapy for articulation and OT for sensory I feel like someone would have realized it before now. :/

JoanahLee
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 10:04 PM

My wife has aspergers. Shes very affectionate with me, but not so much with other people.  She and her mom say that she has always been like that...the people that were very close to her got to see her cuddly side, and she was not very warm to people she did not know well, even as a baby. 

aakeiser
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 2:53 AM
Most of the time my son is. He has his moments when he isnt. It depends on his moods.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:46 AM

All ASD kids are different.  I know high functioning kids who are affectionate and others who aren't.  My son is very low functioning and he's affectionate towards me and my husband.

Kupus
by New Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:44 AM
I think all kids are different. My son is an Aspie and is very affectionate with me and my husband and children he plays with.
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:56 AM
If you're looking for signs of autism, you really need to ignore the stereotypes. Not all kids with autism are the same. I heard once that when you've met one kid with autism, you've met one kid with autism. There are always similarities, but thats where it ends.

ok, all 3 of mine are autistic. All 3 are very affectionate with us. Overly actually. That was one thing that tipped off the Dr with our oldest. None of ours make eye contact for more than a few seconds. Our oldest is very social, but lacks common social skills. Our younger 2 do ok one on one but burn out real quick in a group. They also avoid other kids for the most part. Jeremiah is in preschool and loves it, is starting to learn the kids' names, but doesn't interact hardly at all. How are his social skills ? Can he do a regular back and forth conversation? Does he make eye contact? How are his play skills? Is he imaginative or does he only use a car as a car and never as a rocket ship or something? Does he understand facial expressions and body language? Does he use them? Does he use gestures when he's talking? Any sensory issues?

sorry this is so long but these are just a few things to think about when looking for autistic features.
drowningmama
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I dont have high finctioning kids - mine are low functioning.  My kids arent affectionate.  Here is a bump

coleysmama
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:04 AM
My moderate functioning autistic son is very affectionate. He hugs and kisses me every few mins.
We suspect some of the over-affectionate behavior is him sensory seeking. He likes deep pressure.
AllyB_
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I'm not really sure about his social skills. He goes to preschool/daycare and theres never been any issues that have been brought to my attention. he has friends that he adores and plays with and talks about. I'll ask his teacher when I drop him off on monday. I feel like a horrible mom that I can't answer these questions, I've just never paid attention to all of them. when he plays with playdough he is imaginative, like he used one of the molds thats a construction sign and he was saying it was a toilet lol and he was making his twin have his beanie baby use the toilet before he could have an m&m which he made out of a bunch of little balls of playdough. He understands body language. He knows when I'm mad. I have back issues and I cross my arms to relieve the pain sometimes and we were walking aorund a store and I crossed my arms and he got super upset with me "no dont do that you look mad" 

he uses gestures when hes talking. he has an articulation disorder so its hard to understand him and he will actually show you what he's saying. like if he's talking about clothes he'll grab his clothes so you know what word he's saying. 

he has a ton of sensory issues. he doesn't wear jeans, he can't stand tags, he is a very picky eater, fights having his hair washed, rarely gets a hair cut. he used to not allow his nails clipped but he's gotten so much better with that! :)

my MIL says he is JUST like Sam (the twins 14 year old paternal uncle) when Sam was little. Sam has been diagnosed with bipolar ptsd and anxiety/panic disorder, but not autism

Quoting arkansasmama08:

If you're looking for signs of autism, you really need to ignore the stereotypes. Not all kids with autism are the same. I heard once that when you've met one kid with autism, you've met one kid with autism. There are always similarities, but thats where it ends.

ok, all 3 of mine are autistic. All 3 are very affectionate with us. Overly actually. That was one thing that tipped off the Dr with our oldest. None of ours make eye contact for more than a few seconds. Our oldest is very social, but lacks common social skills. Our younger 2 do ok one on one but burn out real quick in a group. They also avoid other kids for the most part. Jeremiah is in preschool and loves it, is starting to learn the kids' names, but doesn't interact hardly at all. How are his social skills ? Can he do a regular back and forth conversation? Does he make eye contact? How are his play skills? Is he imaginative or does he only use a car as a car and never as a rocket ship or something? Does he understand facial expressions and body language? Does he use them? Does he use gestures when he's talking? Any sensory issues?

sorry this is so long but these are just a few things to think about when looking for autistic features.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)