Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Toddler evaluation

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:59 AM
  • 11 Replies

I got my toddler eval report and mostly disagree with it. Dh took my son to the eval and i am surprised to see the report, which doesnt indicate the reality. Should i make changes, how? Have you experienced this? Thanks

by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ela687
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I know they have written what dh said but discussing the report we both agreed that it doesnt reflect the reality

drowningmama
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe that is how your dh sees your child.  I do all the evaluations.  If I am not available I swicth appt.  I dont know if they will change it now...

raysma07
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:03 AM

My DS father is not around him enough to really do evals. and he is in denial about alot of the issues . I would call or even go up to where the eval was and see if you can add on or even have it redone.

Ela687
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Yes, my dh is not around the kid for a long time either, he only went with my son as i just had a baby, receiving the report now shocked me. There are things like he has trouble sleeping, which only happens when we travel and have to adjust to local time, agression and no emphathy towards others which is not true. 

Quoting raysma07:

My DS father is not around him enough to really do evals. and he is in denial about alot of the issues . I would call or even go up to where the eval was and see if you can add on or even have it redone.

raysma07
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I would try to contact them and see what can be done your input is just as important and to really  benifit you child I am sure they will work with you . This is what i ahve always been told in the end you are the parent and you have controlof everything that is said and done with your child . To get him the best help he can get! Don't be afraid to speak up if something is not right or something is missing so he can get the best help and care 

Quoting Ela687:

Yes, my dh is not around the kid for a long time either, he only went with my son as i just had a baby, receiving the report now shocked me. There are things like he has trouble sleeping, which only happens when we travel and have to adjust to local time, agression and no emphathy towards others which is not true. 

Quoting raysma07:

mandee1503
by Amanda on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:57 AM
I do all the eval's because I'm with my son the most. While dh knows a lot of what's going on he would never do an eval without me.

I'd ask for another with you present.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I would speak with whoever did the eval and ask to meet with them.  Good luck!

MamaLauri
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Evaluations are part of permanent record that can be read by people who have never met your son.

Especially because it contain statements about behavior problems you do not agree with, I would suggest responding to the report in writing covering each area you disagree with and review your response with your DH so you can submit it jointly. After the evaluator has had a chance to review it, request a meeting.

IronJennyKidd
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I would request a meeting right away.  You are your child's advocate.  If you don't agree with the evaluation, then it needs to be discussed with the evaluator.  Definitely put your concerns in writing, but get that meeting asap.  

There were a few times my son's reports did not reflect daily reality, but the reality of the day of evaluation. 

letstalk747
by Joy on Nov. 11, 2013 at 5:51 PM

i would set up a meeting to discuss your concerns ,

alot of what the evaluater/s  witnessed  during the eval is what they write-what the testing revealed-what they saw , heard the child do and not do etc.. etc... whats written in the eval  may not be anything  his father wrote or said , it may be all  what the eval team observed only 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN