Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

frightened confused

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:57 PM
  • 9 Replies
Some of you may have read my post about being depressed and raising two special needs boys. My oldest is 7 and his dad has only made half assed attempts to visit. I have begged him to come see his son for the past 8 months with no response. I finally have had it and decided that a court can at least help to get him to be financially helpful. All of a sudden, he wants to pick Haden up and meep him for the weekend. The parenting plan states he needs to give me 48 hour notice to see Haden. I am terrified. I absolutely want them to spend time together. But Haden has medical needs and his dad has NEVER taken care of him alone, much less over night. He has a nurse from 8-6 and I feel that would be a long visit. Haden doesn't really even know his dad! If I could turn time back, I'd rather keep Haden safe and find another way to support us. His dad is using my depression against me, saying I am an unfit mom. Really! I have been the sole provider for both myboys! And he hasnt even visited in the past 8 months! I am depresssed and this is killing me.
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 12, 2013 at 6:57 AM

Welcome and hugs mama!  I'm so sorry to hear how hard things are right now.  Will Haden's nurse be with him when he's with his dad?  Do you trust her?

aakeiser
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Hugs! I am sorry you have to go through this.
mandee1503
by Amanda on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this
I would think that you can take the proof that not only has dad been uninvolved but that ds is medically fragile that the courts will allow supervised visits at your house. That way he's comfortable and with the nurse. Good luck.
alwaysbelieve
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Similar situation for me. Actually got the courts to order nursing care during visits. Something to think about.

letstalk747
by Joy on Nov. 12, 2013 at 5:05 PM

i would tell him no for medical reasons

would you let his dad see him at your place ?

danirae1851
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 6:35 PM
He is only approved for 10 hours of nursing a day. The dad has come to my home (sporadically) in the past. However, he has a new girlfriend. I think he's trying to act like "super dad" for her benefit. In the meantime telling me that I'm psycho and dont deserve my kids. I don't really want that mental crapIin my home. I'm not opposed to haden spending the hours he has a nurse with him at his dads. But to be honest, this isn't about his dad stepping up to the plate. Its about him throwing his weight around to get me to back off on the child support issue.
raysma07
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 6:51 PM

I am so sorry you have to go though this I am a single mom also but His dad don't want to see him out side of me being around when it comes up some how the subject gets changed . I would try your bestto have a nurse with im so you know everything will be ok.

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Just because you have depression that isn't a reason for you to lose your kids. You can show that he has only begun to see his son when you mentioned cs. Given Hayden's medical needs I believe you would be able to get supervised visitation and probably no over nights. You need to talk to a lawyer or someone who knows about your state laws.

I'm sorry he's being a real butt about this.

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:49 AM

*hugs*

I have no experience. Wish I could help.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)