Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Please help-interrupted routine stress

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 7:28 AM
  • 13 Replies
I swear DS is trying to send me grey. We are going away on Thursday for a 4 day weekend (just me and the kids as DH has to work) although there will be extended family and friends with us.
Anyway, when ever DS knows our routine is going to change it distresses him days in advance. He's excited during the day but he has increased disturbed sleep and the whole journey to wherever he will beg to go home where he feels 'safe' with our routines.
So tonight when I just need to get in and pack and make sure we are ready, he is crying out distressed literally every 10 minutes causing me to stop and comfort him (or he won't stop). He can't tell me what's wrong but I know as it's the same every time :(

Any ideas or tips are welcome. Please!
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 7:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aakeiser
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:14 AM
Maybe bring things like a fave blanket. M6 son only wants to sleep in his bed and his room. He doesnt feel safe is my guess. My son is 7 and has out grown it a little. He was really bad about it.
mandee1503
by Amanda on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Here's a bump. I have no experience.
CrossStitchMum
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 3:51 PM
I hope DS grows out of it too. He's just 5. It's 7am now and he was whinge/crying all night. I changed where he was sleeping a few times, I gave him painkiller just in case, and I basically slept with 1 eye and ear open :P

Quoting aakeiser:

Maybe bring things like a fave blanket. M6 son only wants to sleep in his bed and his room. He doesnt feel safe is my guess. My son is 7 and has out grown it a little. He was really bad about it.

CrossStitchMum
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 3:52 PM
Thank you :)

Quoting mandee1503:

Here's a bump. I have no experience.

letstalk747
by Joy on Nov. 12, 2013 at 4:42 PM

i never tell my kid  plans till the last possible minute , how can you distract him?

assure him you are going to be with him the whole time , ask him what he wants to bring with him , and  the day  you leave  tell him how many sleeps till you guys are back home

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 12, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Poor guy...how old is he?

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 12, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Hugs mama....I'm sorry things are rough.  Hope that once you get moving on your trip he will get excited.  

Quoting CrossStitchMum:

I hope DS grows out of it too. He's just 5. It's 7am now and he was whinge/crying all night. I changed where he was sleeping a few times, I gave him painkiller just in case, and I basically slept with 1 eye and ear open :P

Quoting aakeiser:

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 7:49 PM

I tried that with Lina and all it did was cause her to obsess about the possibility that we had to go somewhere the next day. So now I tell her only a couple of advance to avoid going back to all that constant worry about upcoming possible events. I've finally gotten her to where she only asks me once maybe twice a week instead of several times a day, everyday. 

Quoting letstalk747:

i never tell my kid  plans till the last possible minute , how can you distract him?

assure him you are going to be with him the whole time , ask him what he wants to bring with him , and  the day  you leave  tell him how many sleeps till you guys are back home

CrossStitchMum
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 7:50 PM
He's 5, but his ability to reason and understand are a bit behind that

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Poor guy...how old is he?

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I hope he outgrows it for you. Have a good time on the trip. Hugs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN