Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Advice for Toddler Surgery / Stay in Hospital ?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 3:19 PM
  • 18 Replies

My 3 year old will be undergoing a surgery soon and will stay in the hospital for an estimated 3 days. I was looking for advice on things I should pack.. things to help keep him busy and happy for those 3 days.

What other things are recommended for a 3 day hospital stay?

by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
britmichele
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 3:30 PM
gosh I'd worry more about what u will need. Usually the nurses here bend over backwards to keep my son happy after surgery. What is the procedure? The things I bring for my 5 year old are

a pair of big fuzzy socks
A few of his favorite books
A few favorite movies
His favorite stuffed animal
A comfy 2 piece pj set.
his toothpaste /toothbrush
charley31
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 3:48 PM
I always went to party city and I decorate his Hosp room. I bought balloons with his name on them. I just made it silly and colorful. I go to the dollar store and buy the annoying toys and whistles. He loves horses so the dollar store has a ton so I'd buy him new ones so it was exciting. Good luck.
alwaysbelieve
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Agree with the first 2 posts for your son (especially the dollar store recommendation). Don't forget his favorite things to sleep with/blanket, if he has one.

For YOU:

I put my name in sharpie on a plain/cheap pillow case that I put on my pillow from home.
Comfy socks/slippers
A good book
I like Logic puzzles, so I usually brought one of those (with extra pens)
Plain paper & tape (I used to leave notes taped above my son's bed if I had to leave for food/shower/etc)
Clothes/showering supplies/towel
I always brought my own drinks since they rarely sold it @ the hospital plus it was cheaper. Snacks too. I like the Little Debbie types for breakfast & would bring chips/whatnot.

Most hospitals these days (I know, I'm dating myself here) have TV's with DVD players in the room, so a few favorite DVD's would be good for BOTH of you.

Best wishes & prayers for an easy recovery! 

letstalk747
by Joy on Nov. 12, 2013 at 4:27 PM

i always stay the whole time , hopefully the tv in the room keeps attention , and 3-4 of his fav things ,

keep us posted  how it goes , ok

what is being done ?

Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 4:36 PM
I don't wear pajamas in the hospital. I wear yoga pants so I feel more decent. Bring a sports bra or camisole for nighttime so you'll be comfy but still supported because the doctors come in early to do rounds.

See if they have a Child Life program.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandee1503
by Amanda on Nov. 12, 2013 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Chargers! Tablet coloring stuff favorite blanket a pillow for you. Extra clothes and toiletries. Snacks for you.
DDDaysh
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Check with the hospital to see if anything is banned.  

Bubbles were a favorite with my 2-year-old.  When we found the ones that stick and don't pop, her room looked like a bubble bath.  (Our hospital was cool with it, but they do leave a residue, so check first to be sure.)  

Balloons.  Any toys he can play with in bed.  Movies.  

And definitely books or something to kill time for you!  Plus a really good pillow for you, if you have one.  

megandwade
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this

This is a great idea! I will definitely decorate the room with balloons and things so it is cheerful when he gets out of surgery! My biggest fear is that he is going to afraid of the environment!

Quoting charley31:

I always went to party city and I decorate his Hosp room. I bought balloons with his name on them. I just made it silly and colorful. I go to the dollar store and buy the annoying toys and whistles. He loves horses so the dollar store has a ton so I'd buy him new ones so it was exciting. Good luck.

megandwade
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Thanks! I've was unaware of the Child Life program.. I'm going to look into it!

Quoting Bluecalm:

I don't wear pajamas in the hospital. I wear yoga pants so I feel more decent. Bring a sports bra or camisole for nighttime so you'll be comfy but still supported because the doctors come in early to do rounds.

See if they have a Child Life program.

megandwade
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 6:24 PM

He's having a submucosal cleft palate repaired. I haven't even started to think about what I would need!

Quoting britmichele:

gosh I'd worry more about what u will need. Usually the nurses here bend over backwards to keep my son happy after surgery. What is the procedure? The things I bring for my 5 year old are

a pair of big fuzzy socks
A few of his favorite books
A few favorite movies
His favorite stuffed animal
A comfy 2 piece pj set.
his toothpaste /toothbrush

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)