Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

developmental pediatrician

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 4:31 AM
  • 8 Replies
Hi! i have a 2 yr old little girl. She has been "diagnosed" with sensory processing disorder. For which she has seen an OT for feeding issues. So far, her OT and neuro don't think that she's autistic. And i agree. But my hubby and i agree that there's more going on than just that. My question is, how do i go about getting in to see a developmental pediatricia
n? Thanks in advance.
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 4:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:29 AM
Welcome! You can ask your regular pedi for a referral.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:09 AM

Welcome!  Yep, I'd ask her regular pediatrician for a referral to see a developmental pediatrican.  Good luck!

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I would go thru her regular Dr. talk to him and explain your concerns and ask for a referral to see a pediatric developmentalist. Usually it is the primary care doctor that has to send in the referral anyway. If you do get her a referral be prepared for the fact that it usually takes a couple of months to get in. Well at least it did for us. I think we had to wait 4 months for her appt. it was worth it though. 

raysma07
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:46 PM

yes this is what i would do

Quoting mandee1503:

Welcome! You can ask your regular pedi for a referral.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:57 PM

As stated above.  Just ask your doc for a referral.  it is your right for a 2nd opinion and they are more equipped to evaluate.   

roocifersmama11
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:47 AM

We had to be admitted to the hospital 2x before we could get a rec. for one. Fingers crossed that you find one easier!

MommyofRnW
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:56 AM
We went through child watch. Our state's early intervention program. We were referred by our immunologist
roocifersmama11
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Does she talk at all? My son had a diag. of a sensory disorder. We saw a neoneurologist which diag. him as dyspraxic/apraxic (verbal/oral). Its a disorder where the child has a hard time with the movements of their mouths or throats. Its motor planning i guess. In school were learning about disorders with these kind of symptoms ( going to school for a BS psychology/ MS neurology) And "upcomming" disorders. RussleSo if we learn anything that you can use ill give you a heads up!

Quoting Sbumann84:

Hi! i have a 2 yr old little girl. She has been "diagnosed" with sensory processing disorder. For which she has seen an OT for feeding issues. So far, her OT and neuro don't think that she's autistic. And i agree. But my hubby and i agree that there's more going on than just that. My question is, how do i go about getting in to see a developmental pediatricia
n? Thanks in advance.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN