Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Dyspraxia (verbal/oral) ???

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:45 AM
  • 9 Replies

Any other mamas have a dyspraxic child? What are your major struggles? What have you overcome? Any advice would help!

My 2 yr old ( 3 on 1/1) was daignosed with dyspraxia, transiet alt of awareness, and is a faulire to thrive. He doesnt talk or eat and mumbles maybe 5 sounds. But knows 19 signs :) Is above average in problem solving skills, and is not a "clumsy child" 

by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
roocifersmama11
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Well maybe not only dyspraxic... any speech delays or failure to thrives? How did you guys overcome milestones? 

mandee1503
by Amanda on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:10 PM

My son is ftt, but he still hasn't hit many milestones. We struggle to get him to gain weight. Any surgery, or sickness sets us back. 

jjamom
by Michele on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:30 PM
My son has moderate to severe speech delays and has been considered FTT various times over his lifetime (mostly prior to age 27 mos when he had a heart repair). He has Down Syndrome and they have growth charts developed especially for those with DS because in general they do not usually follow the curve. My son has never even been on typical growth charts.

With speech, we have ongoing private speech therapy weekly for an hour and he has speech therapy at school 2x per week. His therapists use a lot of oral motor stimulation and the PROMPT method. It is very common for kids with DS to have speech apraxia (which I have been told is the same thing as dyspraxia?). I was even told by our geneticist that Alex had it, but I am not really sure if he truly does. None of his SLPs have ever said he does. He does have the characteristic gap between receptive (what he understands) and expressive (what he can say) language and does sometimes struggle to form certain sounds, but other than that I am not sure he "fits the bill" so to speak.

For his FTT, we have followed the recommendations of nutritionists and he has been to an intensive feeding therapy clinic and has been flowed by them since (that was 2 1/2 years ago). He is now once again doing weekly feeding therapy. He still gets most of his nutrition from Pediasure.
DDDaysh
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:41 PM

My son had a speech delay, but said more than 5 words by age 3, he was just unintelligible.  

Sorry!  

roocifersmama11
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Dyspraxia/ apraxia are basically the same thing. only dif i found is the "stage" or severity, and the age. Apparently apraxic kids are older and take longer to "come around"

Cindy18
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 7:11 AM

I'm sorry. I have no advice but these moms here are amazing and I'm sure you will find support in here...

roocifersmama11
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 7:27 AM

So far the moms have been great! I wish I found this place sooner! thank you

lillettemomma
by Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Younger daughter(almost 2) has a speech delay and ftt as well as spd and processing delay...we are waiting for a confirmation of autism...
for the speech delay she is going to be starting speech therapy 1x a week thru early intervention. ...she does talk but she isn't understandable and she does this things where she changes the syllables in words around (for candy she says nicky) almost like verbal dyslexia..... for the failure to thrive we do a thing called child led feeding....basically they (my other daughter is underweight as well) are allowed to eat what they want (from the choices we have available) when they want.....we chose this route because we tried feeding them on a schedule and what we wanted to make.....well they weren't eating at all and we were having to throw away tons of food.....discussed it with EI and came up with this plan and so far it is working really well for us.....
roocifersmama11
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:13 AM

My son's been doin EI since he was 13 mo. We see an OT, PT, Speech Path once a week, and do weigh-ins 2x a week. The only thing my son will be consistant with is his pediasure. We got an rx for it for 4 a day. We've tried Duocal, boost, and pedia 1.5 but the reg pediasure is the only thing he'll take. And it had to be vanilla, warm with 1 ice cube.The only way i can get him to eat solids is if i leave a bowl of cheerio's or goldfish or cheese its on the table for hours at a time. It takes about 2 to 4 hrs for him to finish 2/3c of anything! 

Quoting lillettemomma:

Younger daughter(almost 2) has a speech delay and ftt as well as spd and processing delay...we are waiting for a confirmation of autism...
for the speech delay she is going to be starting speech therapy 1x a week thru early intervention. ...she does talk but she isn't understandable and she does this things where she changes the syllables in words around (for candy she says nicky) almost like verbal dyslexia..... for the failure to thrive we do a thing called child led feeding....basically they (my other daughter is underweight as well) are allowed to eat what they want (from the choices we have available) when they want.....we chose this route because we tried feeding them on a schedule and what we wanted to make.....well they weren't eating at all and we were having to throw away tons of food.....discussed it with EI and came up with this plan and so far it is working really well for us.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)