Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

"They're so cute!"

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 3:02 PM
  • 13 Replies
How often do you hear this about your SN child? I'm in a special education class observing today, and one of the teachers told me this is the way others, including some gen Ed teachers, refer to her students..that's downright rude! :( and derogatory!

Eta instead of responding to everyone individually I'll do it here...

The way it was explained to me was in a snide or rude way. Personally a child is a child, whether they are SN or not..maybe I'm looking at it from a different view point because I don't have a SN child myself, I dont know.

Thank you for the input, and thank you all again for answering my questions when it comes to SN kids, this group has helped me a lot with my class :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Irislady17
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 5:03 PM
I hear it all the time about my son, I always thought it was because he IS adorable. I also always got stopped and told how cute my non SN kids were too when they were younger. I have never taken offense at it.
lillettemomma
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 5:06 PM
This is a hard one....I have personally referred to special needs kids as cute before and after I had my own and I never meant it in a derogatory way at all....I have worked in a pediatric nursing home, a special needs camp, respite care, and as a TA in an autistic classroom and I think all my kids are cute.....I also have 2 special needs daughters.....they are tiny, with blonde hair and bright blue eyes and people call them cute all the time and I don't take offense to it at all
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 15, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I don't find it rude or offensive at all.  People say my son is cute all the time...I like to think they mean it:)  If they don't, oh well.  

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 5:10 PM

I think my kids are cute too, so I do not take offense at all.  And if they were trying to be rude, I'd rather hear 'cute' than the R word I get to hear all too often! 

alyssasmommy312
by Angela on Nov. 15, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I dont find it rude either, I hear all the time how cute Alyssa is.  She's got a cute personality, and her being the smallest one in the school (all 600 lol) it stands to reason that alot of people are going to think she's cute lol.  Unless the comment was made in an obviously snide, or sarcastic voice, I wouldnt take offense or find it derogatory.

britmichele
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 5:36 PM
My son is super cute. So I don't take offense
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 7:20 PM
Why would that be offensive?
Kitsun
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 7:29 PM
I added info

Quoting arkansasmama08:

Why would that be offensive?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
letstalk747
by Joy on Nov. 15, 2013 at 9:11 PM

i have heard this with NT'S  too , it dont bother me unless i get a FEEL OF  its being said because of  special needs

Kitsun
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 11:09 PM
NT's?

Quoting letstalk747:

i have heard this with NT'S  too , it dont bother me unless i get a FEEL OF  its being said because of  special needs

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN