Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Help I'm so lost don't know what to do.

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:31 PM
  • 7 Replies

I am caring  for my disabled nephew and trying to succeed in life. The way it's going looks like it's not gone happen. My question is how can you be successful in life and caring for a child with multiple disabilities? He was place with me thru the foster care system him and his brother and I have child of my own single trying to make it. I have about 50% of family support. Their mom is involved but she also a have disiabilty too (MR) their dad is not here at all. My nephew has been diagnosed with MR, failure to thrive, Stage 4 kidney failure. 24 hr care. My plan is to open a group home for kids with special needs after doing my ed plan for college requires me to be in school for about 4-6yrs

by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group!  Glad you're here.  You can and will succeed in life....even with your nephew in your home.  I promise!  There are ladies in the group with more than one special needs child and they manage to exceed everyone's expectations.  Your priorities change when you have a child with special needs.  My career took a huge back burner to my son's needs.  He was born 5 years ago, and I haven't worked since before he was born.  I won't return to work until next year sometime.  

Does your nephew have any respite care?  Nursing care?  How about therapy?  How old is your nephew?

Sweet_tt83
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Thanks he's 8 yrs old. He have respite and that's it everything else I provide. It's really hard to maintain school and care for him. We had like 8 doc appointments this month cause we're trying to put him on the transplant list for a kidney. But right when I was heading to school I had to turn around an head back up to the hospital to get this med cause his potassium was up really high. That day I just felt so overwhelmed  and depress.

dawncs
by Dawn on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group! You might want to get involved with http://www.thearc.org/ and http://www.specialolympics.org/ in your area. I also recommend reading http://www.wrightslaw.com/.

Dawn

Group owner of Different Learners Support Group (http://www.cafemom.com/group/118648)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Hugs mama...you are such an amazing woman and I commend you for all you're doing.  I know he's your nephew and you love him, but this is a whole different life for you, and you're just taking everything in stride like you know what you're doing.  You are putting him and his needs first...something that every special needs parent has to do.  I have a lot of admiration and respect for you.  BIG HUGS!

Quoting Sweet_tt83:

Thanks he's 8 yrs old. He have respite and that's it everything else I provide. It's really hard to maintain school and care for him. We had like 8 doc appointments this month cause we're trying to put him on the transplant list for a kidney. But right when I was heading to school I had to turn around an head back up to the hospital to get this med cause his potassium was up really high. That day I just felt so overwhelmed  and depress.

Sweet_tt83
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 7:09 PM

I will look into this thank you.

T-HoneyLuv
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:31 PM
My son also has Chronic Kidney Failure. Is he listed for transplant yet?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
T-HoneyLuv
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:33 PM
NM. I just saw your post. What caused the kidney failure? Is he on dialysis yet? The failure to thrive is probably due to the kidney failure. My DS is very small also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN