Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are your thoughts on kids drinking coffee?

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 6:43 AM
  • 15 Replies

I'm not talking about little kids, but it very well could apply to that too......

My 14 year old has taken to drinking coffee in the morning, even taking a travel mug to school sometimes. I grew up where coffee was for the adults and didn't start drinking it until I had kids...

I'm not thrilled that he is drinking it but don't think it's really a fight worth fighting. Gotta be better than energy drinks, right? I have put my foot down with any energy drinks and if I find out he has had any, he will be punished and he knows it. 

What are your thoughts??

Cindy

by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 6:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NeonGirl9583
by New Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 6:45 AM
My 4 and 5 year olds love coffee!
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 8:37 AM
I don't give mine any, but they're much younger. I started drinking coffee around 15. I don't see a problem as long as it doesn't affect his behavior negatively
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I've heard that coffee is good for kids that have ADD & ADHD. I don't know how true that is but I remember that a Dr on the news said that a couple times. My 15 year olds have been drinking coffee off and on since they were 14. I don't let them take it to school because the bus driver has a cow and they never bring the travel cup home for a couple days.

letstalk747
by Joy on Nov. 20, 2013 at 7:06 PM

if its the lesser of the evils , i say drink coffee- in moderation

do you have any idea how much he drinks a day [ for the caffiene

mandee1503
by Amanda on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:47 PM
My nephew loves coffee but its pretty watered down with creamer and sugar. Lol I can't stand coffee so idk if dd will ever like it.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:08 AM

My son doesn't drink anything at all...much less coffee!  LOL!

Cindy18
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 7:16 AM

I have heard that too. 

I have threatened him with his life if he doesn't bring the cup home!! I'm very protective of my travel mugs. I think I'm gonna get him a cheap one for Christmas.

Quoting Linagma03:

I've heard that coffee is good for kids that have ADD & ADHD. I don't know how true that is but I remember that a Dr on the news said that a couple times. My 15 year olds have been drinking coffee off and on since they were 14. I don't let them take it to school because the bus driver has a cow and they never bring the travel cup home for a couple days.

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 7:28 AM

I too have heard it has benefits for our kids. Mine is only 7 with a growth issue.. So coffee is not on my radar.. But i dont think it is a big deal. Id talk to him about moderation, show him long term effects, talk to him about caffine and his body-- maybe even have him research a bit on the internet to "convince"you and educate himself? 

Derpy
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 7:32 AM

I been drinking coffee since I was 4,Thanks to my mum.Dont worry,it was only half a kids tea cup full.
I only like it rarely now.But I LOVE hot green tea.I would drink that stuff all day if I could.lol.

My kids really don't like Coffee but they love hot tea.I only give them a little bit at a time.They have their own small plastic tea cup,just like I did when I was a kid,So I fill that up with warm tea just like my mum did with coffee to me when I was little. 

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:19 AM

That sounds like a good idea.

Quoting Cindy18:

I have heard that too. 

I have threatened him with his life if he doesn't bring the cup home!! I'm very protective of my travel mugs. I think I'm gonna get him a cheap one for Christmas.

Quoting Linagma03:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)