Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Moms with kids that have seizures.

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:42 AM
  • 11 Replies

Most of you know that Lina has seizure disorder. She's woke up periodically with headaches most of the time they go away within a couple of hours after I give her some Tylenol. She gets 1 adult because of her size. About a week and a half ago she had a headache that lasted 2 days. I contacted her neurologist and asked if they could be signs that she's had a seizure during the night because all the headaches are on the left side of her head and that is the side that has the lesions/scar tissue and the side that he's told me her seizures are located. He told me that they aren't a sign, I disagree with him. That night after getting his message she had a seizure that was different than the others. She looked like she was awake but after looking closer and touching and talking to her I knew she was having a seizure because I noticed some of the very small twitches and her body was stiff it lasted less than 2 minutes. About 5 minutes later she got up wanting a drink of water and told me her head hurt.

So my question is. Am I right in believing that her headaches are because she's had a seizure or two during the night? I want to believe him but in this I'm not sure he's right.

by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Nov. 21, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Possibly. My son can't talk so I have no idea if his head hurts after. 

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I haven't contacted him again about this I'm watching her and going to keep track of it even better than I've done before. She doesn't even get headaches when she's had pneumonia, or any other pretty bad illness where she's run a fever. So it has me thinking he might be off on this with her. 

Quoting mandee1503:

Possibly. My son can't talk so I have no idea if his head hurts after. 

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:12 PM

The one time I saw my daughter had a seizure, it was just as you described.  You really had to evaluate to see is she awake, ok, do I need to pay attention to this. is this a seizure.  Her eyes were open and she cried a bit, twitched on her arm/leg of one side of her body, got a red face.  She is non-verbal and was only 3 then so could not tell us anything about what it felt like to her.  They needed the medical tests to prove seizures were happening.  I'd contact the neuro again with the info she did have a seizure, it was different than her usual, and see what they say.  I don't know that the headache causes the seizure, but I'd think a seizure could cause a headache. 

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I believe that the headache is a result of the seizure/s. I don't know if she is having any during the night and if she is and the headaches are a result then she isn't having them very often. Yes I will contact him the next time she has a headache. I hate to say this but I wish her seizures were noisy or something so that I'd know if she was having one. 

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

The one time I saw my daughter had a seizure, it was just as you described.  You really had to evaluate to see is she awake, ok, do I need to pay attention to this. is this a seizure.  Her eyes were open and she cried a bit, twitched on her arm/leg of one side of her body, got a red face.  She is non-verbal and was only 3 then so could not tell us anything about what it felt like to her.  They needed the medical tests to prove seizures were happening.  I'd contact the neuro again with the info she did have a seizure, it was different than her usual, and see what they say.  I don't know that the headache causes the seizure, but I'd think a seizure could cause a headache. 

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I agree.  When I saw my daughter's I really had to watch and make myself pay remember what was happening to call the doctor after it was over.  It was not the violent shaking, foam at the mouth thing TV shows you so was not what I would have expected.  I did not know how many different kinds of seizures and epilepsy there were until this started, I thought it was all the same.  We still care emergency meds for my daughter, but thankfully she has not had another and should grow out of them.  

Quoting Linagma03:

I believe that the headache is a result of the seizure/s. I don't know if she is having any during the night and if she is and the headaches are a result then she isn't having them very often. Yes I will contact him the next time she has a headache. I hate to say this but I wish her seizures were noisy or something so that I'd know if she was having one. 

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I carry the DiaStat with me and we have one here in the house. Lina has several different kinds of seizures but the most common for her are absence seizures and if she has those while asleep you'd never know unless she was hooked up to an EEG during the night. The chances that Lina will outgrow them is extremely slim. Thankfully she hasn't had a major one requiring the DiaStat in a very long time. 

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

I agree.  When I saw my daughter's I really had to watch and make myself pay remember what was happening to call the doctor after it was over.  It was not the violent shaking, foam at the mouth thing TV shows you so was not what I would have expected.  I did not know how many different kinds of seizures and epilepsy there were until this started, I thought it was all the same.  We still care emergency meds for my daughter, but thankfully she has not had another and should grow out of them.  

Quoting Linagma03:

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 22, 2013 at 6:36 AM

Hugs mama...Brady is nonverbal so I have no idea how he feels after his seizures.  He has Gelastric and Absent seizures.  

MrsBoats08
by Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 6:44 AM
The only way I know Dd 6 has them at night is how she acts the next day. She's very lethargic, and wants to be left alone.
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Lina is fine the next morning even if she had a grand mal during the night and I had a to use the DiaStat. It would be nice if there was a way to know for sure. The only way with her would be having her attached to an EEG monitor. I'm glad that she doesn't have the lethargy in the morning but not knowing if she's had a seizure or not when she's got a headache in the morning kinda worries me. Not knowing for sure means that her meds can't be adjusted if they need to be. I know sometimes I worry too much about these things.

Quoting MrsBoats08:

The only way I know Dd 6 has them at night is how she acts the next day. She's very lethargic, and wants to be left alone.

Koltie6
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 8:46 AM
I would think that the headache could be from the seizure. I do not have much fauth in mist Neurologist. Try Motrin instead of tylenol it reduces the inflammation in the nerves. My son had many seizures until we got a new Dr who does more than raise the seizure meds. Cortisone works wonders in stopping these.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)