Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

if you were given $500 to spend however you wanted..

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 2:41 PM
  • 13 Replies
What would you do with it?

my dad gave me that much for my birthday coming up. I was told not to spend it on bills or the kids, or dh, but that's all I can think of! Lol. $100 is gone because, as luck would have it, a tire blew out on our car this morning lol. I do need to buy clothes for our family pictures and would love to get my hair cut and colored. But id feel guilty since I can color it and my mil can cut lol. I don't know how would enjoy blowing all that on me when we have billls that need paid and things that need done.

so, wwyd?
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Reina13
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this

It was given as a gift to you by your father with stipulations to be used solely for you. It is a very generous gift. Even though there are things that can be done with it, I think you should accept the gift for what it is. It is more than just money. I think it is about you putting yourself first and doing something that you normally wouldn't do. Like getting your hair professionally cut and colored. Sure a family member can do it, but the relaxation and pampering at a salon is a good way to relax and enjoy the moment. I think your father is offering you the opportunity to make yourself a priority for a change. I know as moms we all tend to put everyone else above our own needs and it is really nice to be able to indulge ourselves once in a while.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 3:19 PM

This, your dad is trying to make you give yourself a break and be the focus for once.  The bills, tires, picture clothes, etc would still be there without the $500 if he hadn't given it to you.  He wants you to do something for you!! 

And yes, that would be hard for me to do as well, but I could blow $500 on a pedicure, some new clothes, a DVR so I could finally see programing after my kids to to sleep that I have missed for years, etc.  Or I'd spend a bunch of it on restaurant gift certfs and give my self a night off of cooking here and there when I didn't want to do it.  Or get my house professionally cleaned so I did not have to do it and take a nap that day instead.  And those are just off the top of my head.  I'd find a way to spend it, the hard part would be finding a way not to guilt myself for doing it!  But you're still Daddy's girl and Daddy said so!  Let us know what you do!

Quoting Reina13:

It was given as a gift to you by your father with stipulations to be used solely for you. It is a very generous gift. Even though there are things that can be done with it, I think you should accept the gift for what it is. It is more than just money. I think it is about you putting yourself first and doing something that you normally wouldn't do. Like getting your hair professionally cut and colored. Sure a family member can do it, but the relaxation and pampering at a salon is a good way to relax and enjoy the moment. I think your father is offering you the opportunity to make yourself a priority for a change. I know as moms we all tend to put everyone else above our own needs and it is really nice to be able to indulge ourselves once in a while.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 22, 2013 at 3:39 PM

I agree with these ladies...do something for YOU!  I'm happy for you!!!

mandee1503
by Amanda on Nov. 22, 2013 at 4:49 PM
What about a massage? Or a new pair of nice shoes you've been eyeing for a while?
Mipsy
by Chelle on Nov. 22, 2013 at 5:43 PM
Ok, girl, go get your hair cut ans colored! Get your nails done (or just a manicure) and a pedicure! Then get a massage and buy a pretty new outfit that makes you feel like a woman/wife again (I lose my identity as a wife/woman a lot and only see myself as a mom at times)!!!!! Then go on a date with your hubby!!! Ans enjoy every minute of it cuz you deserve it!
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Thanks ladies! Its hard but I'll try lol
mstricey
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 8:40 PM
I was about to say winter clothes, boots, and a coat for ds and Christmas decorations and getting the carpets shampooed. but if the money had to be spent on me.....geez idk lol I hardly ever spend money on myself. Maybe a pedi/mani, some winter boots and a coat.
letstalk747
by Joy on Nov. 22, 2013 at 11:25 PM

get a nice winter coat , get your nails done , get a plush comfy robe , some well made comfy new shoes

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 11:54 PM
I know! Its hard isn't it! And we have zero money right now so to spend this much on me just seems irresponsible. I'll do a few things I guess, but I really will feel better about using it for Christmas presents or a few bills or something lol

Quoting mstricey:

I was about to say winter clothes, boots, and a coat for ds and Christmas decorations and getting the carpets shampooed. but if the money had to be spent on me.....geez idk lol I hardly ever spend money on myself. Maybe a pedi/mani, some winter boots and a coat.

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 7:27 AM

I would do what your father asks. He wants you to spend that money on yourself. He probably thinks that you spend so much on the family that you deserve a little something for yourself.

I would get my hair, and nails done, then buy some clothes, then probably sneak in something for the kids and for hubby. 

Course your dh will get benefits from you getting your hair and nails done. *giggles*

Your MIL would probably love to do that for you too. 

Personally, I would also buy a kindle fire for myself. or that would be the only thing I would buy and a couple of books. I don't do my hair and my nails I like simple. < this would be for myself. 
The other stuff is what I would do in your shoes if I was you.

I'd also ask that after I spent the money on the books and the kindle fire, if I could use the rest of the money on my family for bills.

Because technically after he gives you the money it is yours to spend as you see fit. I would respect my father's wishes though to the best of my ability.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN