Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

What do you know about allergies? PIOG

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 6:19 AM
  • 15 Replies

Brady is 5 years old with CF and a laundry list of other things. He had an allergy test done several months ago because he had an allergic reaction to touching peanut butter (yes, touching it). His allergy test revealed an anaphylactic allergy to peanuts, dogs, and cats. We knew about the peanuts obviously.

Now, the dog allergy. We have 3 miniature dachshunds...short haired small dogs. We've had them since well before Brady was born. He's never showed any reaction to them before. Now, he's been on Zyrtec for years, so that might be why. Recently, he's been mega congested, mostly sinus related, and he's also been wheezing. He had CF Clinic this past week. His doctor thinks his recent issues are probably due to the dogs. What I don't understand is why he's been around the dogs for all these years without a problem, and now all of a sudden (over the past month) he is showing symptoms of being allergic to them. I don't get it.

She added a few things to his daily regimen...sinus rinses minimum 2x/day, nasal spray 1x/day, and Singulair. If this doesn't help, we have to get rid of our dogs. Of course our son is more important than the dogs. No question there. But, I just can't wrap my head around why the dogs are all of a sudden affecting him when just 3-4 months ago, he was fine. It's just weird. His doctor said that anything that increases mucus production in a CF patient is a trigger since they already have thick mucus. Now, Brady also has colonized MRSA in his lungs...the MRSA is so bad it will come out of his ears at times (we've had the fluid in his ears tested). She thinks that the dogs are mostly causing the increase in mucus production since he's allergic to them. 

Have you every known a child to be allergic to something they've been around for a long time, not have a reaction for years, but then all of a sudden have issues?  

by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 6:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babyblue21
by Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Ds is the same way. Every time we go for his allergy checkup he had a new one or one he had already had worsened. All allergies are developed, no one is born with them. It's just that some allergies develop earlier than others. Here's what happens during an allergic reaction. We'll use peanuts as an example. The first exposure to the allergen (in this case the peanut) will not produce an allergic reaction. At this point the body looks at the peanut and says ... "hmm, I don't like this peanut. I think I will make lots of antibodies to attack it if I ever see it again, but since I don't have antibodies for it now, I can't do anything". The next time the person eats a peanut, the body sends out all the antibodies it made to protect itself, and this causes an allergic reaction. If the allergy is one that is life threatening (anaphylaxis), it will always occur on the second exposure to the allergen. Less severe allergies work a little different. In a skin- allergy (i.e. hives), the body may not like something, but only makes a few antibodies at a time. On the next exposure it makes a few more, and on the next a few more, and on the next a few more. You can be exposed to something many times before there's actually enough antibodies to provoke a reaction. A reaction only occurs when there's enough antibodies to the allergen to cause a reaction. This is why some allergies develop later in life, and why some seem to be apparent from birth.
jjamom
by Michele on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:55 AM
I have heard it is possible to develop allergies. I once ate a whole bunch of cranberries (fresh, dipped in sugar) with no problem, but I am now allergic to them. The same thing happened with one of our office secretaries when I was teaching, except for her it was peanuts. She had always eaten peanuts with no problem and then boom, one day ends up in the ER with a severe reaction to peanuts. I don't know or understand the whys behind it all.

I hope the increased treatments help and you don't have to give away the dogs, I know how attached you all, even Brady, are to them.
N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 11:44 AM

My aunt and uncle always had 3 dogs.  I spent a lot of time with them growing up. I always had sinus infections. When i was 8 years old i had allergy test 100 pricks in back. It came back no allergys.   After i moved in with cory we got me a puppy. He would sleep on my and i cant breath. Did allergy test. Had to give him to my aunt and uncle.  Even our 1 friend bring over her dog for boys to play with. And i get coughing. And i got allergy to bandaids now. It just bad cause got to keep my stitches covered up. But i was fine when i was little. I wish it was wednesday i want them out.

N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Do you have family that would take in the dogs ?

Mipsy
by Chelle on Nov. 23, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Allergies can develop at any time. I use to love bananas growing up, now I have to carry an epipen because I'm so highly allergic to them. I've live in az most all my life. I've had asthma since I was 6. My asthma has always been well controlled until 2yrs ago. Living in the same town even as when I was dx with asthma. I got allergy testing and am so severely almergic to the entire state of az, my Dr suggested I move asap. I didn't use to have these allergies as a child. All that use to set off my asthma was respiratory colds and cold air. Now everything does. So its very possible to come out of nowhere.

Do you guys brush the dogs daily and bathe them weekly? A lot of work but can help cut down on allergens. Also try keeping them in designated areas so like especialy keeping them out of his room. There are also allergy shots he can try to help lessen or "cure" the allergy. Mt Dr suggested I do the allergy shots since I have to stay in az.
Mipsy
by Chelle on Nov. 23, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Btw, my baby girl is a long haired mini doxy. Love dachshunds!!!
letstalk747
by Joy on Nov. 23, 2013 at 12:31 PM

interesting , i have not known a sudden allergy of anyone as of yet

jjamom
by Michele on Nov. 23, 2013 at 2:43 PM
I got allergy shots when I was a teenager. I was allergic to all kinds of grasses, trees, etc and highly allergic to cats (it set off my asthma and really irritated my eyes). They seemed to have worked as I no longer really have any seasonal allergies and I love to garden. But, my allergy to cats remains. My asthma is better, but my eyes still get red, itchy and puffy around cats and I cough a lot, but no wheezing. And the whites of my eyes swell up (weird I know)!

Quoting Mipsy:Allergies can develop at any time. I use to love bananas growing up, now I have to carry an epipen because I'm so highly allergic to them. I've live in az most all my life. I've had asthma since I was 6. My asthma has always been well controlled until 2yrs ago. Living in the same town even as when I was dx with asthma. I got allergy testing and am so severely almergic to the entire state of az, my Dr suggested I move asap. I didn't use to have these allergies as a child. All that use to set off my asthma was respiratory colds and cold air. Now everything does. So its very possible to come out of nowhere.

Do you guys brush the dogs daily and bathe them weekly? A lot of work but can help cut down on allergens. Also try keeping them in designated areas so like especialy keeping them out of his room. There are also allergy shots he can try to help lessen or "cure" the allergy. Mt Dr suggested I do the allergy shots since I have to stay in az.
Mipsy
by Chelle on Nov. 23, 2013 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Not that weird at all! The pink fleshy part inside your eyelids you know? Those swell from the inside over the outside of my eyelids if i touch grass. So freaking gross

Quoting jjamom:

I got allergy shots when I was a teenager. I was allergic to all kinds of grasses, trees, etc and highly allergic to cats (it set off my asthma and really irritated my eyes). They seemed to have worked as I no longer really have any seasonal allergies and I love to garden. But, my allergy to cats remains. My asthma is better, but my eyes still get red, itchy and puffy around cats and I cough a lot, but no wheezing. And the whites of my eyes swell up (weird I know)!

Quoting Mipsy:Allergies can develop at any time. I use to love bananas growing up, now I have to carry an epipen because I'm so highly allergic to them. I've live in az most all my life. I've had asthma since I was 6. My asthma has always been well controlled until 2yrs ago. Living in the same town even as when I was dx with asthma. I got allergy testing and am so severely almergic to the entire state of az, my Dr suggested I move asap. I didn't use to have these allergies as a child. All that use to set off my asthma was respiratory colds and cold air. Now everything does. So its very possible to come out of nowhere.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 23, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Not sure, but we are looking into options this week.  We've contacted a local dachshund rescue group and I think they will foster them for us.  It's sad, but we need to get rid of them.

Quoting N.Carter2001:

Do you have family that would take in the dogs ?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN