Brady is 5 years old with CF and a laundry list of other things. He had an allergy test done several months ago because he had an allergic reaction to touching peanut butter (yes, touching it). His allergy test revealed an anaphylactic allergy to peanuts, dogs, and cats. We knew about the peanuts obviously.
Now, the dog allergy. We have 3 miniature dachshunds...short haired small dogs. We've had them since well before Brady was born. He's never showed any reaction to them before. Now, he's been on Zyrtec for years, so that might be why. Recently, he's been mega congested, mostly sinus related, and he's also been wheezing. He had CF Clinic this past week. His doctor thinks his recent issues are probably due to the dogs. What I don't understand is why he's been around the dogs for all these years without a problem, and now all of a sudden (over the past month) he is showing symptoms of being allergic to them. I don't get it.
She added a few things to his daily regimen...sinus rinses minimum 2x/day, nasal spray 1x/day, and Singulair. If this doesn't help, we have to get rid of our dogs. Of course our son is more important than the dogs. No question there. But, I just can't wrap my head around why the dogs are all of a sudden affecting him when just 3-4 months ago, he was fine. It's just weird. His doctor said that anything that increases mucus production in a CF patient is a trigger since they already have thick mucus. Now, Brady also has colonized MRSA in his lungs...the MRSA is so bad it will come out of his ears at times (we've had the fluid in his ears tested). She thinks that the dogs are mostly causing the increase in mucus production since he's allergic to them.
Have you every known a child to be allergic to something they've been around for a long time, not have a reaction for years, but then all of a sudden have issues?