Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

does your family understand

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Joy
  • 46 Replies
about your child/s issues ?
by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mipsy
by Chelle on Nov. 27, 2013 at 11:44 PM

My side of the family seriously doesn't get it. My mom really started to, but now shes gone so I feel even more alone now cuz no one on that side gets it at all. My husbands side gets it, but theres also a cousin 9 days younger than Ty who has the exact same issues. So they understand it quite well and are positive it is a genetic issue as many in the family have had issues as well, many died of heart issues and one died from a seizure at 28yrs old.

missmeli77
by Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, our family understands my sons issues....
theloudhouse
by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
My mom and dad didn't, gave me guilt trips like crazy. Then I had two surgeries this summer and they had the boys all day for the three and four days I spent in hospital. Now they are more understanding. DF's family isn't. The sister acts as if they don t exist while doting on their half sister. His mom acts like one of my twins, 5, is a baby. He has delays, is small, and is not potty trained. But he's not a baby....he's bright...it's okay to have the expectations we do for him. We and his school are on the same page about expectations.
mandee1503
by Amanda on Nov. 28, 2013 at 12:03 AM
My family yes. His family doesn't care.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 28, 2013 at 6:54 AM
1 mom liked this

My family and his family both understand and are very supportive.  

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 28, 2013 at 6:54 AM

I'm so sorry...

Quoting mandee1503:

My family yes. His family doesn't care.

CrossStitchMum
by Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 8:34 AM
This drives me crazy. DHs family says DS is normal, that I'm 'making a big fuss about nothing' that's 'he's just a boy and he'll start talking when he feels like it' they refused to acknowledge DHs dyslexia and he struggles even now, and other problems that other family members had.

My family, grrrrrr. My Dad is hell bent on convincing me that the best thing for DS next year starting school is to put him in the special needs program of a school in town and forget any dreams I may have of him getting any better with his language or balance which at the moment is affecting his toileting, dressing ect. He thinks because he can't understand him right now (at 5) he'll never be ready for mainstream school when we've been told by his teachers that with a few tweaks, mainstream is great. DS understands us and teachers, and is getting so much more vocabulary at the moment. We are so proud.

Luckily DH recognises that #1 yes DS does need extra help but
#2 he's not a lost cause! He's learning, he's loving school and he can't wait to go to school with big sis although transition will be tough for a while getting used to routine and new teachers.
Cindy18
by Gold Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

My family has always been very understanding and supportive. I've been lucky.

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 10:42 AM

I thought so but there are a lot of times they say or do something that tells me that they really don't. It's frustrating when they do that because I don't know when they're going to act that way. I get angry with them when they do that.

sharonsolo
by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 10:54 AM
My family gets it but don't want to hear about it. I always say to myself.....people get tired of you being sick and tired. So I keep my frustrations to.myself.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN