Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

What's Been Your Proudest Moment As a Parent So Far?

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 12:34 PM
  • 9 Replies

Boy Overcomes Stammer With Help of Teacher Who Refused to Give Up (VIDEO)

by Emily Abbate

Musharaf Asghar, MushyAn estimated 77 percent of all students are bullied verbally in U.S. schools today, often for the most upsetting reasons. For Musharaf Asghar, nicknamed Mushy, he was bullied in his Yorkshire school because he stammers ... badly. Since the other kids would make fun of him, Mushy skipped school, often attending one out of every three days or so. Mr. Burton, Mushy's English teacher, refused to give up on Mushy and his stammer. Mr. Barton changed Mushy's life.

Taking a tip from The King's Speech, Mr. Burton put on music, slipped headphones into Mushy's ears, and asked him to read a poem out loud. And sure enough, the student slowly became able to read without stammering.

What happens after Mushy found his voice, though, will make you bawl. See what happens when he finds the courage to read in front of his classmates. Trust me, this is something you don't want to miss:

It's so fantastic what's possible when a good teacher refuses to give up on their student. It's even more awesome to see how Mushy's speech impacts his fellow students. So many teens, like Mushy, don't "have" a voice because they feel uncomfortable speaking up for fear of being judged. I think it's safe to say that his classmates are thankful that he finally did.

What's been your proudest moment as a parent?

by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Nov. 29, 2013 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this
So sweet. I'm proud of kids everyday.
jjamom
by Michele on Nov. 29, 2013 at 3:14 PM

What a great story!

I have 3 kids all of whom make me proud and I have been a Mom for 16 years, so there is no way I could narrow it down to one "proudest" moment.

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 3:26 PM

There are too many to count as she has made such progress. I don't know how to pick just one. 

raysma07
by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 9:12 AM

When his teache told me at his  IEP meeting that he is at 4th grade level reading and passed he 3rd day of school math test missing only one! (he is only in 1st grade ) He is so smart but has no attention span and takes lots of meds every day for his CF . All this with the hellp of his wonderful  1 on 1 PARA.at school!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 30, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Love this story!  Brady has come so far and we're really proud of his accomplishments with his communication.

aakeiser
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 6:33 PM
It is hard to decide. I find moments everyday that both my children make me proud.
JOEJULA
by Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 7:50 PM

When my son went from a high rated school district where he was bullied every day and failing. To a charter school that taught him to belive in himself, and he got his first report card making straight A's!

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:59 AM

That is awesome!

I don't know. I haven't thought about this at all. 

I'm proud of my children every day. Every day they do something new or something they have been working on for a while. 

CafeMom Tickers
Aslen
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 8:02 AM
My youngest is being raised Christian and Muslim. I'm never prouder than we he goes up to a woman in hijab and says "Salamulaikum" to her. He makes it a point to do so
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN