Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

I think we're making progress!

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 9:10 PM
  • 7 Replies

Cas has had such a good weekend despite the change in routine. Usually he's at daycare/preschool all week but the boys had thursday and Friday off of school. First there was yesterday with volunteering for a haircut and today he and his brother were running around with their pillow pets and letting out shrieks and I asked them to stop screaming, they didn't I gave them a warning (they were going to lose their pillow pets if they screamed again) and they stopped. Then Cas looked at me and screamed - testing me. So I walked over to him and took his pillow pet and put it on top of the entertainment center. He grabbed a basket of toys down (wow I can't believe he is tall enough to do that) and they fell, and he threw some of the toys at the floor. He was mad at me about taking his pillow pet. BUT HE DIDN'T MELT DOWN.  (normally anything like this would trigger an intense and violent meltdown that would last at least 45 minutes or as long as several hours)

He pouted for about three minutes and then went to the couch with his brother and went about playing. I was soo amazed. I feel like maybe we're making progress!? it was great and I wanted to share with everyone on here because if I tried to share this somewhere like facebook people would make rude comments because they don't understand his issues, many don't know because they wouldn't take it seriously or believe me etc etc. Without you ladies I would be so alone

by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 9:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Nov. 30, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Glad to hear you had a good weekend.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Understand completely.  Telling these things to friends with all non-sn kiddos is pointless.  They either don't see the progress in it, think you should have disciplined differently, or don't get why it's a big deal as their kids did x,y,z years ago.  Well, great progress Mama!!!  We get it!   

letstalk747
by Joy on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:02 AM

that does sound like progress

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:01 AM

That is great! it sounds like it is progress. I understand what you mean. I'm real careful about what I put on facebook. For awhile I used it to keep family updated on what was going on around here. I stopped when I got a few not to nice comments and then there was something that I posted that was kind of important and got no response from family at all. Now I just keep it general things like "Not going to be a good day 2 sick kiddo's" or something like that. 

AllyB_
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:30 AM

ugh I hate that! I told my basically "second mom" that Cas has an articuation disorder (the least of his problems!) and she looked at me skeptically and said "now is that something you've diagnosed him with or...." and im like mmm no he's been evaluated and is starting speech therapy. and it hurt. I GET it. I was a dramatic teenager but I'm not my SIL I'm not going to make stuff up about my kids! ugh

Quoting Linagma03:

That is great! it sounds like it is progress. I understand what you mean. I'm real careful about what I put on facebook. For awhile I used it to keep family updated on what was going on around here. I stopped when I got a few not to nice comments and then there was something that I posted that was kind of important and got no response from family at all. Now I just keep it general things like "Not going to be a good day 2 sick kiddo's" or something like that. 

AllyB_
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:32 AM

It's so annoying! If I had told certain family members about this nonmelt down situation they would have been like "um so he shouldn't be throwing a fit ever, you need to discpline the tantrums" etc etc. I just wanna shake them by the neck lol

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Understand completely.  Telling these things to friends with all non-sn kiddos is pointless.  They either don't see the progress in it, think you should have disciplined differently, or don't get why it's a big deal as their kids did x,y,z years ago.  Well, great progress Mama!!!  We get it!   

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:08 AM

That's great!  He is making progress mama!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)