Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

would you homeschool if you could ?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Joy
  • 29 Replies

by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:33 AM
There's a lot to consider in this and while I would love to say yes, he may actually do better in a school environment. I do not know. I would have to first of all be a SAHM to be able to homeschool him, which would mean I would have to win the lottery, because I have given up on men. Then I would have to have the space to do school work in. A 2 bedroom with 5 people doesn't leave room for anything extra. I would need a bigger house. For now until a whole lot of things fall in place I wouldn't be able to even attempt to homeschool him for awhile and see if he does good with it or would be better off at a school in his autism class.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:52 AM

I thought about that at first when I found out what was going on with her until I found out about the developmental preschool, and the SpEd program that our district has. After that with the fact that they were going to do her therapies in school, work with her in the socializing area as well as teaching her. So after getting all the information and thinking I knew she'd be better off in public school.

AllyB_
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:34 AM

if I could meaning, if I had the finacial stablity and the patience? yes I would like to, hypothedically. I would love to let my kids learn everything hands on, and expand on the general circulum. However I'm, I guess, technically, a single mom now... of 3. so I will be working when my 4 year olds enter kindergarten. The 14 year old might do online school if he starts having problems at the highschool

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:07 AM

I know that Brady does better in school and therapy...he wouldn't do as well if I were to teach him.  That's just him though.

Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this
I am homeschooling. D went to public school for K and then I retired from teaching to his. Best decision ever for all of us. The boys used to be sick all the time. LO was sick with a virus back in June and that has been the only time in five months.
trio8707
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

No, I wouldn't.  Aside from the fact that I rely on my 6 childless hours during the day to keep my sanity, my kids (especially the 2 that are severely disabled) benefit more from being in a class with teachers that can keep them busy and occupied all day.  I'd go crazy having them home 24/7 and so would they.

drowningmama
by Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Yes.  But I work 2 jobs, dh works 1 job ... and if we homeschooled ds would lose his placement in his special needs program and we cant chance that.

jjamom
by Michele on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I am a certified elementary school teacher, but would not want to home school my children, personally. However, if my son (or sny of my kids) needed to be homeschooled for his safety or best interest, then yes, I would. I will never rule it out.
coleysmama
by Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:00 PM
2 moms liked this
I could if I wanted to but would never. It would be the worst thing for my child.
My son is in an amazing program and it's able to interact with many different kinds of people everyday. I could cover the academic portion but I could never replicate the environment and different experiences.
Cindy18
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 6:27 PM
I would never have been able to.... My patience is not there for homeschooling....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)