Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty training a sever SPD child

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:30 AM
  • 14 Replies

He is almost 4. Has sever SPD it effects everything and has diet issues from fructose malabsortion. We finally got it where his BM are normal. But he will not poop on the potty. He is pee potty trained. He will sleep all night in under and never pee. But he said hes scared to poop on and the potty. He said he just wont do it. I have tried sticker charts. Prizes treats, theres a toy he wants super bad but he wont even go for that. What has help your SPD child poo on the potty. I need help. My daughter is getting interested in potty training. Shes really young but shes peed on the potty twice already and tells me before she poops. I cant let his baby sister potty train before him

by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Christy_517
by Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:53 AM
My son would cry and cry. I would literally just hug him and let him hold on to me while he sat there. Well, he ended up getting constipated from holding it too long. We gave him a dose of his Miralax, and waited. In the meantime he was freaking out from stomach pain and we made a very bad decision. We gave him apple juice and a Fiber One brownie. Around that time, the meds kicked in and he had no choice but to get over his fear at that point because the poor thing did nothing but poop tiny amounts every 20 minutes for 2 days. Even woke up several times a night! It was horrible. Poor baby :( Anyway, it was basically "immersion therapy" and he got over it by having to do it so much. I don't recommend giving your own kid too many laxative type food/drinks, but I'm just staring my story. I hope you guys get through this soon. Life is so much easier now. DJ even wipes himself now :) His only bathroom "issue" isn't even a problem really. He just won't stand to pee. No biggie. He's still pretty short. :) Anyway good luck!
mommyoflittles
by Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 11:23 AM

My son will only stand to pee

Quoting Christy_517:

My son would cry and cry. I would literally just hug him and let him hold on to me while he sat there. Well, he ended up getting constipated from holding it too long. We gave him a dose of his Miralax, and waited. In the meantime he was freaking out from stomach pain and we made a very bad decision. We gave him apple juice and a Fiber One brownie. Around that time, the meds kicked in and he had no choice but to get over his fear at that point because the poor thing did nothing but poop tiny amounts every 20 minutes for 2 days. Even woke up several times a night! It was horrible. Poor baby :( Anyway, it was basically "immersion therapy" and he got over it by having to do it so much. I don't recommend giving your own kid too many laxative type food/drinks, but I'm just staring my story. I hope you guys get through this soon. Life is so much easier now. DJ even wipes himself now :) His only bathroom "issue" isn't even a problem really. He just won't stand to pee. No biggie. He's still pretty short. :) Anyway good luck!

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 11:43 AM
What about it scares him? Flush? Cold seat? Echo in bathroom? Have a no pressure chat with him about what the scary part is. See if you can address the scary... He doesnt have to flush.. U will after he leaves...

My friends son didnt like the idea of the poop leaving his body... So they talked about all the things that did.. Tears when he cried, pee, spit... And he slowly began to relax about it.

She worked his schedule so he would poop at night or early am so they could go together to the bathroom-- and 1 poop would join his friends ( 2 poops) so the poop was happy... I know crazy right.. But it worked and he went to kindergarden ready...

I think if u get to the issue if the fear it will help.
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 11:45 AM
And as far as sister training before him- we all do things at our own times... Hard fact of life.. If she is ready and hes not.. No big deal...

You can force it in.. (Food) you cant force it out (poop) ... Lol
mandee1503
by Amanda on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:03 PM
*hugs* maybe if sister trains before it might motivate him just enough. Good luck.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I agree here.  Hugs!

Quoting mandee1503:

*hugs* maybe if sister trains before it might motivate him just enough. Good luck.

mommyoflittles
by Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 6:18 PM

He doesnt like sitting on the seat open. He said hes scared to push it out in the poty

Quoting SamMom912:

What about it scares him? Flush? Cold seat? Echo in bathroom? Have a no pressure chat with him about what the scary part is. See if you can address the scary... He doesnt have to flush.. U will after he leaves...

My friends son didnt like the idea of the poop leaving his body... So they talked about all the things that did.. Tears when he cried, pee, spit... And he slowly began to relax about it.

She worked his schedule so he would poop at night or early am so they could go together to the bathroom-- and 1 poop would join his friends ( 2 poops) so the poop was happy... I know crazy right.. But it worked and he went to kindergarden ready...

mommyoflittles
by Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Quoting SamMom912:

And as far as sister training before him- we all do things at our own times... Hard fact of life.. If she is ready and hes not.. No big deal...

You can force it in.. (Food) you cant force it out (poop) ... Lol

His sister is 13 months. I know shes too young to really get it but she want to try. She has been early for everything. Born early walked early at 10 months

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe you can find a more secure type seat? Smaller hole? Do you have a toddler toilet? I know a HUGE issue is havijg feet on the floor or a steady surface. I think there are ways to go about making him more comfrotable. Youll just need to figure it out with him.

you may want to check out "raising a sensory smart child" website - they typically have some helpful info for us SPD parents... I really liked their book too! 

Quoting mommyoflittles:

He doesnt like sitting on the seat open. He said hes scared to push it out in the poty

Quoting SamMom912:

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Let him sit with a pull up on and do it. At least he'll connect the act with the place.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)