Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

My daughter talks in cartoons

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:08 PM
  • 42 Replies

A little background first My 6 year old daughter is special needs was at three years old was in ECI (early childhood intervention) was supposed to go into school program at four that didn't work out went the next school year.  Was in PPCD and PDS both in Texas...  We moved from Texas to Hawaii and are now home schooling due to some issues with the school we were in here.... Anyways that's the background

Now my question is are they any other parents out there that have a child that talks in cartoons?  I mean my daughter it's like she has her Nick Jr shows on consent play in her head.  She receits them over and over again.  And if we are talking and maybe metation something that sparks a memory from a show in her head she'll go right to it...  we are having her evauled for autism but even the doctor said he wondered why she did that like what sets it off which of course we don't know she does it all the time besides when she's asleep.  Now she will come in and out but that's up to her...

It's just so confusing and I would love to be able to sit and chat with my 6 year old like i do my 8 year old but it doesn't happen.  I wish I knew why she talked in cartoon and how I could make her stop and not do that but we try all we know and nothing....

Sorry for the vent ladies but I'm sure many of you can understand how i feel

by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cindy18
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:12 PM

My son did that.... ALL the time. He is 19 and still repeats the shows he watches sometimes. It's under his breath now but I can hear it sometimes. 

britmichele
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:13 PM
My son is not very verbal, but I would imagine she does it because it's stuck in her head? Does she recite the same episodes over and over? Is there a change if she doesn't watch any tv for a day? Does she understand if you ask her to stop? On the plus side, it sounds like she has an excellent memory! Hugs mama
mommy2girls0506
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:32 PM

will he talk "normally" un cartoon lets say and then go into cartoon like it's a regular conversation?  My daughter will be like "Mom, mom" and when I say "Yes" or I ask "What do you need" it's straight a cartoon episode.

Quoting Cindy18:

My son did that.... ALL the time. He is 19 and still repeats the shows he watches sometimes. It's under his breath now but I can hear it sometimes. 

Cindy18
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Nope never really like that, I don't think.....It's hard for me to remember...... maybe a little.... I remember saying things like "Talk to me" or "We are not in Spongebob right now, so look at me." so yeah, I'm sure he did.

Sorry that wasn't a very good answer, was it? 

Quoting mommy2girls0506:

will he talk "normally" un cartoon lets say and then go into cartoon like it's a regular conversation?  My daughter will be like "Mom, mom" and when I say "Yes" or I ask "What do you need" it's straight a cartoon episode.

Quoting Cindy18:

mommy2girls0506
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:35 PM

It's like on constant play in her head.  That's how it seems cause even on a day when she hasn't watched TV she will pull episodes out.  She will recite ones she watched recently or that she likes or that she knows.  No real change if she's not watching or if she is.  Although I will notice if she's doing something she is into she will sit and do it and not go into cartoon.  But after right back to it.  She understands and will sometimes stop but will go back to it again and we just have to keep telling her "no cartoons"  Oh she has an amazing memory when it comes to her shows.

Quoting britmichele:

My son is not very verbal, but I would imagine she does it because it's stuck in her head? Does she recite the same episodes over and over? Is there a change if she doesn't watch any tv for a day? Does she understand if you ask her to stop? On the plus side, it sounds like she has an excellent memory! Hugs mama

mommy2girls0506
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Any answer that lets me know I'm not alone is a good one....  You would be amazed at how many times we say "This is not Dora" "No cartoons now" "No sesame street now it's dinner"....  Do you remember anything you did with him?

Quoting Cindy18:

Nope never really like that, I don't think.....It's hard for me to remember...... maybe a little.... I remember saying things like "Talk to me" or "We are not in Spongebob right now, so look at me." so yeah, I'm sure he did.

Quoting mommy2girls0506:

Quoting Cindy18:

britmichele
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:41 PM
Sounds like she understands she's doing it. Could you maybe play cartoons with her for a set amount of time, and then stay firm with the no cartoons otherwise?

Also have you tried schoolhouse rock?

Quoting mommy2girls0506:

It's like on constant play in her head.  That's how it seems cause even on a day when she hasn't watched TV she will pull episodes out.  She will recite ones she watched recently or that she likes or that she knows.  No real change if she's not watching or if she is.  Although I will notice if she's doing something she is into she will sit and do it and not go into cartoon.  But after right back to it.  She understands and will sometimes stop but will go back to it again and we just have to keep telling her "no cartoons"  Oh she has an amazing memory when it comes to her shows.

Quoting britmichele:

Cindy18
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Yep, sure do. In the grand scheme of stuff with my DS, it wasn't a huge issue. She will probably out grow it, IMO. 

There was a boy in my son's class for many years that did this too. Both my DS and this boy are autistic.

Quoting mommy2girls0506:

Any answer that lets me know I'm not alone is a good one....  You would be amazed at how many times we say "This is not Dora" "No cartoons now" "No sesame street now it's dinner"....  Do you remember anything you did with him?

Quoting Cindy18:

Quoting mommy2girls0506:

Quoting Cindy18:

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:56 PM
Mine don't do it, but it is a common thing with autistic kids. It seems to be because they don't understand rules of regular conversation, so they resort to that. Its easier for them to communicate.
mommy2girls0506
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I think she does but it's almost as she can't or doesn't want to stop.  We have a set amount of time and we try to do our best but when she's playing i don't to be over her saying "no cartoon talk" and saying it over and over again and nothing changing it makes me feel like i'm going insane if i'm being honest.

No we have not tried schoolhouse rock i'm not sure what that is.

Quoting britmichele:

Sounds like she understands she's doing it. Could you maybe play cartoons with her for a set amount of time, and then stay firm with the no cartoons otherwise?

Also have you tried schoolhouse rock?

Quoting mommy2girls0506:

Quoting britmichele:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN