Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom of a special needs child

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:02 AM
  • 44 Replies
The reason I am making this post is because my son is 5 years old and he is not potty trained yet. His neurologist has told me that he will not be ready to he is 7 years old. By the way my son is developmentally delayed. I can take him out and he will use the bathroom. But when we are at home he doesn't go to the bathroom. The reason why he wont really go to the bathroom at home is because my mother lives with us because I have to take care of her she has early onset Alzheimer's. So because she doesn't always go to the bathroom he does the same thing. But no he is not potty trained he just will tell me sometimes he wears pull ups. But it worries me that I was told he will not be ready to be potty trained to he is 7 years old. It worries me because I want him to go to an academy school next school year. Do to him not being where he should be in school I kept him back in preschool right now. But I'm scared for next school year because he is not potty trained that he may get picked on. My son is sensitive some times. I know he is young but I still don't want him being picked on by anybody. But you know how a mother is about are kids. What do you all think I should do about this? Oh if you want to know why I want him to go to an academy school. Is because I like there school's better.
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dawncs
by Dawn on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:38 AM
1 mom liked this

If he has an IEP or Special Education plan at your school or will have one, you should not worry about him being fully potty trained. He is not against the norm when it comes to having potty training issues. The Special Education teachers have seen many of his kind over the years. I recommend reading http://www.thearc.org/ and http://www.wrightslaw.com/.

Dawn
Innovative Cookbook Writer and Internet Resource Research Writer
Check out my books at: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/dawnlucan

Cindy18
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:41 AM
2 moms liked this

Just because the doctor gave an age doesn't mean you can't keep working on it with him. Doctors don't have a Magic 8 ball, they can't see the future. 

I would keep working with him and praising him. Maybe even giving him small prizes when he uses the bathroom appropriately. 

Don't give up, Momma! Take it one day at a time. 

jjamom
by Michele on Dec. 9, 2013 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with both of the responses above.

I don't see how (or even why) the doctor is giving you an age when he thinks your son will potty train. In truth, he doesn't really know.

I would keep working with him on it and keep encouraging and praising him when he is successful.
missmeli77
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 11:28 AM
I would keep him in public schools..... Special need classes r better equiped to deal with the kids special needs....
drowningmama
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this

How does the dr know when he will be ready?  No one knows when their kids is ready until the kid is actually ready.

Keela222
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 5:06 PM
I would but I don't like how the class will have older kids in it with him who are not even gone be in his grade with him. The school I want him to go to he will be in there with only grade.
Quoting missmeli77: I would keep him in public schools..... Special need classes r better equiped to deal with the kids special needs....
letstalk747
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 7:07 PM
1 mom liked this

this

Quoting Cindy18:

Just because the doctor gave an age doesn't mean you can't keep working on it with him. Doctors don't have a Magic 8 ball, they can't see the future. 

I would keep working with him and praising him. Maybe even giving him small prizes when he uses the bathroom appropriately. 

Don't give up, Momma! Take it one day at a time. 

letstalk747
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 7:11 PM

my son is 13 and still has #2 issues , when and if a kid  gets it- thats when they get it , there is no way to know , just  dont give up

i get the school  concerns and the fear of being picked on - its tough

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 9, 2013 at 7:13 PM

I agree with these ladies...hugs!

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:34 AM

The first I would do is find a new nerologist. Because I don't think they can tell exactly when your son will be ready to potty train. I would be training him right now honestly. If he is telling you at times, then he is ready. Just keep asking him if he has to go potty and take him with you whenever you go. 

Get pull ups that have the designs on them so they look more like real kid underwear and encourage him.

If he has an IEP or will have one, don't worry about being fully potty trained, they will work on that or work with him as he is ready. But I think your son is ready to start now. I wouldn't expect him to be fully trained right away as it might take some time for him to get the hang of it, but I wouldn't believe your neurologist either. 

No one but your son (and you) will know when your son is ready to train. No matter what.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)