Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Shoes for AFO's/PFO's ???

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 7:47 PM
  • 9 Replies

I know a lot of you have kids that wear the AFP or PFO orthotic insert.  Do you have a go to brand for shoes that seems to fit the extra?  I often buy shoes and take out the original insole and also the tongue to make room, but the DAFO's we just picked up today seems extra big, and I'd have to go up 3 shoe sizes to where they are just way too long sand my daughter is tripping all over them.  She is so unstable walking as it is so I can't do this to her.  I've never ordered the hatchback's as they are like $80 or something like that with shipping, but I am considering it this time!  Any brand you like or tips?  I'm going to try wide width, but not a lot for a little girl that I have found - she is 5, but size 5/6 infant/toddler foot size.

by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:27 PM
My son use to use the plain white lace up high tops from wal mart but I switched over to converse with Velcro. They fit well and ill continue to buy them.
jjamom
by Michele on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Alex had a pair of Hatchbacks a couple of years ago. They were good shoes. We usually get his orthotics and shoes at the same time at a specialty pediatric shoe store, so they fit him for both at the same time. Currently he has New Balance sneakers.
N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:23 PM

When my son gets his braces the shoes come with.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Us too, we got the New Balance last year.  This year we were between doctors and the OT did the referral for insurance.  Somehow the shoe order did not go in with the orthotic order, and it took me 3 months to jump through all the hoops this year.  When I picked these up today I just wanted to be done!!!  But no shoes, augh!  I just don't want to deal anymore and want to go out and buy some and be over this.  She needed new ones 3 months ago as she'd outgrown them and then delay after delay!  Everything with my kiddos is just one battle after another, i just want the girl to have fitting shoes!  So, i'm going to try to buy something tomorrow and have this done already! 

Quoting jjamom: Alex had a pair of Hatchbacks a couple of years ago. They were good shoes. We usually get his orthotics and shoes at the same time at a specialty pediatric shoe store, so they fit him for both at the same time. Currently he has New Balance sneakers.

MommyofRnW
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Addidas run a little wider and have always worked well. The Velcro as mice
jjamom
by Michele on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:32 AM
That really stinks! I just don't understand sometimes why everything has to be a battle, ya know? If they didn't send the shoe order, then fax it and take care of it. It should be that easy, but never is... :/

I used to buy a brand at Walmart when Alex had his SureSteps, since the orthotist told me that any shoes that fit would be fine because all of the support is in the SureSteps. I can't recall what brand they were, but worked great and I got a few pairs (different sizes) over the period if time he had the SureSteps. I think the shoes were like $14.99. We are able to pay more now, because the orthotics are so much cheaper. I never go through insurance now (but had to for the SureSteps since they were $1300)!

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Us too, we got the New Balance last year.  This year we were between doctors and the OT did the referral for insurance.  Somehow the shoe order did not go in with the orthotic order, and it took me 3 months to jump through all the hoops this year.  When I picked these up today I just wanted to be done!!!  But no shoes, augh!  I just don't want to deal anymore and want to go out and buy some and be over this.  She needed new ones 3 months ago as she'd outgrown them and then delay after delay!  Everything with my kiddos is just one battle after another, i just want the girl to have fitting shoes!  So, i'm going to try to buy something tomorrow and have this done already! 

Quoting jjamom: Alex had a pair of Hatchbacks a couple of years ago. They were good shoes. We usually get his orthotics and shoes at the same time at a specialty pediatric shoe store, so they fit him for both at the same time. Currently he has New Balance sneakers.

Codysmom2106
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:45 AM
We don't have braces yet but are on our way to custom insoles. We had to buy $115 shoes just last night because any old shoe wouldn't work.

Good luck. I hope everything works out.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 10, 2013 at 3:29 PM

When Brady wore AFOs, I went to Stride Rite and got extra wide shoes and they worked well.  I only had to buy 1-2 sizes bigger than his actual foot.    

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Dec. 10, 2013 at 4:09 PM
I buy pumas. They are Velcro and the insole comes out. I do have to get then a couple sizes big, but the afo fits well!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN