Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how would you discipline

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:13 PM
  • 10 Replies

so Cas (4, being assessed for bipolar right now) took half a jug of milk out of the fridge this weekend and dumped it down the kitchen sink while I was in my bedroom cleaning. When I asked why he did it he said "I don't know"

he just turned 4 in September, he has serious impulse issues (probably part of the bipolar but again he's a four year old boy!) 

How in the world would you handle this? I talked to him about it but I don't really know what else to do. I considered making him take money out of his piggy bank to buy more milk but I don't know if that would be appropriate because again he's only four and he loves his coins but he doesn't really understand the concept of money. I posted in this group because like I've said a billion times before, you ladies are the most sane on the entire website. plus you guys understand the issues I have with discipline when it comes to Cas. I can't do time outs with him, etc.

by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:24 PM
My kids have all done goofy things like that. The first time I'd just talk to him about not doing that. When my kids do stuff like that I try to figure out what would be similar but okay. Maybe at his next bath give him some measuring cups and pitchers to fill with water and pour out. This is gross, but my 3 year old smeared poop twice which he'd never done before. I set him up with playdough and playsets and he was totally into play dough for about 2 weeks. Never played with poop again.
AllyB_
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:28 PM

great idea, thank you! :)

Quoting Bluecalm: My kids have all done goofy things like that. The first time I'd just talk to him about not doing that. When my kids do stuff like that I try to figure out what would be similar but okay. Maybe at his next bath give him some measuring cups and pitchers to fill with water and pour out. This is gross, but my 3 year old smeared poop twice which he'd never done before. I set him up with playdough and playsets and he was totally into play dough for about 2 weeks. Never played with poop again.

letstalk747
by Joy on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:47 PM

how about have him stand in the corner for 4 mins- [1 min per year old ] 'because its not ok to dump food down the sink kind of a different kind of time out'

AllyB_
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Quoting letstalk747:

how about have him stand in the corner for 4 mins- [1 min per year old ] 'because its not ok to dump food down the sink kind of a different kind of time out'

he doesn't stand in time outs

britmichele
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 11:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I would just explain that it's not ok to waste food, and let him instead play with a half gallon jug of water. U could even color the water, or scent it. Its so much fun to dump stuff out, I kinda can't blame him ;-)
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:09 AM
I'd just talk to him about not being wasteful. Maybe at breakfast have him eat dry cereal and tell him he can't have milk on it because he dumped it all out.
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:10 AM
And get a fridge lock 😉. In my experience, once they do something like that, they will try again
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 10, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Not sure mama....tough one!

lissadavis
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 11:41 AM

My older kids once emptied all the oatmeal packets out on the table and ate the dried fruit out of it. I cleaned the oatmeal into a big pot and cooked it. They ate it everyday for breakfast untli gone. Kids do this stuff. As for ds I would just ban him for getting int the  fridge without an adults permission. I do not let my 4 or 5 year old in my fridge.

Hottubgodess
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 2:00 PM

At that age, they love to pour and scoop.  Make him a 'water table" in the sink or give him a tub full of beans and scoops.  :)  Clear cut rules on it and supervision is a must.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)