Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

I was told this not normal for 2 year old ! Really ?

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 5:19 PM
  • 30 Replies

Hi, So Missy came today to work with Chase.  He had a speech delay but he past that. Today he even said 5 words together.  She has even said he is smart for his age. I work with him alot. He can say his numbers 1-12. He will copy me and say his abc all the way to z.     He knows all of his colors when you ask. And he learning shapes.         But today she bring glue to do art stuff. He help glue stuff and got some on his finger not a big deal he just try to wipe off on her hand.  She ask if he like to play in snow. No he says eww and dry his hands off on me.  She said thats not normal ! And so that is his goals.   Really that not normal ? 

by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 5:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Missy an OT? If so they get them to touch "yucky" things.
I've never heard of any kid thinking snow was yucky.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Missy is a speech person. Never needed ot. In past he not even like to eat ice cream cause too cold

Quoting Jenn8604: Missy an OT? If so they get them to touch "yucky" things.

Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 5:27 PM
Than why is a ST doing OT work?

Quoting N.Carter2001:

Missy is a speech person. Never needed ot. In past he not even like to eat ice cream cause too cold

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hobnobs
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 5:28 PM
They do that at that stage.. Explore senses . I say normal..

Quoting N.Carter2001:

Hi, So Missy came today to work with Chase.  He had a speech delay but he past that. Today he even said 5 words together.  She has even said he is smart for his age. I work with him alot. He can say his numbers 1-12. He will copy me and say his abc all the way to z.     He knows all of his colors when you ask. And he learning shapes.         But today she bring glue to do art stuff. He help glue stuff and got some on his finger not a big deal he just try to wipe off on her hand.  She ask if he like to play in snow. No he says eww and dry his hands off on me.  She said thats not normal ! And so that is his goals.   Really that not normal ? 

N.Carter2001
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 5:33 PM

no clue

Quoting Jenn8604: Than why is a ST doing OT work?

Quoting N.Carter2001:

mandee1503
by Amanda on Dec. 10, 2013 at 5:43 PM
Idk if my 5 year old would touch snow. But of course we don't get snow here. So she's never seen it.
Cindy18
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I think she may be jumping the gun a little. It may be a small sensory thing.

jjamom
by Michele on Dec. 10, 2013 at 7:08 PM
It may be a sensory issue, which is probably what she was getting at. She could have been more clear about it than "that's not normal".

My son has some sensory issues, it impacts his feeding and he also doesn't like certain things on his hands (especially anything sticky or wet). He never went through the finger feeding stage partially because he wouldn't touch the food. He does, however LOVE to play in the sand at the beach (which OTs usually find strange for a kid with sensory issues) and he likes the snow (although he wears gloves, so I'm not sure that he would want touch it without gloves).I know I wouldn't, because it's too cold! LOL
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Lol at 2, I think its normal. My kids didn't like snow until about 3. Before that it was too cold, wet, and funny feeling. But if course all 3 of mine have autism so what do I know about normal lol

really though, I don't think its an unusual reaction
letstalk747
by Joy on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:06 PM

i dont think its abnormal at all myself , but then im a mom to sensory issue kid

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)