Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Help on days off

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 5:30 PM
  • 10 Replies

For those of you who have help (whether it be family or home health aides), how do you manage when there are unexpected school closings?

I live in NJ and that storm that originated on the west coast finally hit us today.  Blake and Olivia's school was closed, Hayden's school had an emergency early dismissal (the school called all parents aroung 9:30 am saying that the kids were being dismissed at 12:30).  My home health aide normally comes at 2:30, I tried to see if she could come early but she was snowed in.  I called the agency but they had no one that could come fill in.

How do you do it?  It was so hard not having the help, having to drag Blake and Olivia out on my own to pick up Hayden is my worst nightmare coming true.  All I can think about was what if I work?  What do working parents do? 

I'm not saying this to be selfish, there is nothing I am more thankful for than my home health aide and family support.  Having 2 severely physically disabled children and giving them everything they NEED wouldn't be possible without the help I receive.  Just wondering how everyone else manages on those days off... I can't be the only one who relies on help that has this problem?  

by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 5:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hobnobs
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 5:32 PM
I'm not sure my cousin is cp and the aids make an effort to come, but my great aunt is 78
mandee1503
by Amanda on Dec. 10, 2013 at 5:42 PM
I'm not sure. It may fall under sorry its up to you. Too bad she was snowed in and couldn't come sooner.
Cindy18
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I haven't had this problem. But I have had to call off work because of a snow day.

jjamom
by Michele on Dec. 10, 2013 at 7:19 PM
I am a SAHM and none of my kids have severe physical disabilities (my little one didn't walk until 3, but can now, just with delays and blance issues). I have had things like you mentioned pop up here and there and it's never easy, but I have managed.

Could you have maybe had a neighbor or friend come to stay with the other kids while you picked him up, instead of having to take them out?
letstalk747
by Joy on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:16 PM

yup missed work

alwaysbelieve
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:16 PM

As a SAHM, I struggled with loading Adam up & trudging out in bad weather to pick up my other ones. It then begins at home when I needed to take care of feedin/med/changing Adam, the rest of the kids would get into something/fight/what have you. It's just one of those times when you have to throw your arms up and pray. Remind yourself it's one day and thank the stars it isn't like this everyday!
When I was working there were several times when the nurse wouldn't show up. Yup. I lost my job(s). The only time I had a job be compassionate about Adam & his needs was when I worked for a doctor. He gave me whatever time I needed when Adam had surgery & complications kept in the hospital a lot longer than expected.
Hopefully the agency you work with can assure you of better provisions should this happen again. 

trio8707
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Most of our neighbors are older and love my kids dearly, but I wouldn't be comfortable leaving them god forbid something happens.  Especially with Olivia's epilepsy, they wouldn't be able to get her out of whatever she is sitting in to administer the meds and care for her properly.  

Quoting jjamom: I am a SAHM and none of my kids have severe physical disabilities (my little one didn't walk until 3, but can now, just with delays and blance issues). I have had things like you mentioned pop up here and there and it's never easy, but I have managed.

Could you have maybe had a neighbor or friend come to stay with the other kids while you picked him up, instead of having to take them out?

trio8707
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Basically... our agency is great, unless it's an emergency situation.  Then they suck =(  We love the aide that we have (M-F, 2:30-8:30), so I try not to complain too much.  It just would've been nice to have that extra set of hands to help with feeding and transitioning Blake and Olivia all day.

Quoting mandee1503: I'm not sure. It may fall under sorry its up to you. Too bad she was snowed in and couldn't come sooner.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 11, 2013 at 7:14 AM

I'm sorry mama...you can only do what you can do!  Hugs!

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I'm a SAHM.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)