Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Good/Rough day

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:47 PM
  • 14 Replies

We went and got Em's autism evaluation done today. It came back that yes she is on the spectrum. I have been so focused on getting to this point that I didn't prepare myself for how I would feel when we got here. I've been an emotional wreck all day. At least now we know and we can get her the services she needs, but at the same time I break down everytime I say she has Autism. I knw it will get better, but right now its just a little rough. At least now we know :)

by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Glad you got answers.
cnsmom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Any kind of diagnosis is bittersweet.  You want to know what is wrong, but then you have to face the fact that something is really wrong.  It is hard.  Big Hugs. 

When my son was diagnosed with autism, (19 yrs ago) I was so relieved that there was a real reason that he was or wasn't doing the things that he was or wasn't doing.  At the same time, I was so sad, because my son actually had autism.  (I didn't know anyone else that had a child with autism back then, I felt alone and helpless)  There are so many more resources now.   You have support, so you don't have to feel alone. 

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Its hard mama. A lot of people go through the same process as grieving. Its ok, take your time and work through it. Autism is a hard diagnosis, with a lot of unkowns and worries. Take it a day at a time. You'll settle into it soon.
Mipsy
by Chelle on Dec. 11, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Big *hugs* momma
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 11, 2013 at 7:01 AM

Glad you got some answers mama...one day at a time!  Hugs!

JKuney
by Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Thanks :) It is kind of bittersweet, but I am glad that we finally know what is going on. I'll be ok after a day or so, but it's just getting to the realization that yes she does have this that is the hard part. Hopefully I can just get out the words without bursting into tears before we tell family lol!!

Quoting cnsmom:

Any kind of diagnosis is bittersweet.  You want to know what is wrong, but then you have to face the fact that something is really wrong.  It is hard.  Big Hugs. 

When my son was diagnosed with autism, (19 yrs ago) I was so relieved that there was a real reason that he was or wasn't doing the things that he was or wasn't doing.  At the same time, I was so sad, because my son actually had autism.  (I didn't know anyone else that had a child with autism back then, I felt alone and helpless)  There are so many more resources now.   You have support, so you don't have to feel alone. 

JKuney
by Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Thanks I hope so. I want to get past it, but you are right it is a little bit of a process to work through. I just don't want to dwell on MY feelings about it, I just want to get over myself and get back to helping her haha

Quoting arkansasmama08: Its hard mama. A lot of people go through the same process as grieving. Its ok, take your time and work through it. Autism is a hard diagnosis, with a lot of unkowns and worries. Take it a day at a time. You'll settle into it soon.

JKuney
by Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Me too, now just for the next step :)

Quoting mandee1503: Glad you got answers.

JKuney

Thanks!

Quoting Mipsy: Big *hugs* momma

JKuney

Thanks me too :)

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Glad you got some answers mama...one day at a time!  Hugs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)