Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Is it really homeschooling if the child isn't of school "age"?

Posted by on Dec. 21, 2013 at 9:21 PM
  • 28 Replies

I have seen many times on CM moms saying they are homeschooling their preschool age children. 

Is it still considered homeschooling if the child isn't at the age when it's legal necessary for them to go to school?

by on Dec. 21, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nicholy10
by on Dec. 21, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Yes, my son is 4 and we are doing a kindergarden curriculum at home. He also attends a public preschool for the social skills. 

letstalk747
by Joy on Dec. 21, 2013 at 9:24 PM

i think so yes , they are being schooled , taught

Cindy18
by Silver Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 9:24 PM

So what will you do when he is kindergarten age?

Quoting Nicholy10:

Yes, my son is 4 and we are doing a kindergarden curriculum at home. He also attends a public preschool for the social skills. 

Cindy18
by Silver Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 9:26 PM

But how is it any different from just teaching your child colors, alphabet, numbers, shapes, etc, that most moms do any way?

Quoting letstalk747:

Nicholy10
by on Dec. 21, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Same thing until he is old enough for the public school to test and place him in a gifted program. I home school on his level, but I feel strongly it's important for him to attend a school for the social skills because he struggles in that area. His IQ tests show he's gifted with almost if not for real photographic memory. 

Quoting Cindy18:

Quoting Nicholy10:

frndlyfn
by on Dec. 21, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Yes from age 3 on you can send them to regular school (preschool for this young age) or homeschool them.  We did homeschool since we could not afford private preschools.

letstalk747
by Joy on Dec. 21, 2013 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this

its not different to me its home schooling because they are learning

Quoting Cindy18:

But how is it any different from just teaching your child colors, alphabet, numbers, shapes, etc, that most moms do any way?

Quoting letstalk747:

Cindy18
by Silver Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 9:32 PM

So he will go to the age appropriate class but you will homeschool at his level? How long do you think you have to do this for? Don't you worry that he will get bored in school?

Quoting Nicholy10:

Same thing until he is old enough for the public school to test and place him in a gifted program. I home school on his level, but I feel strongly it's important for him to attend a school for the social skills because he struggles in that area. His IQ tests show he's gifted with almost if not for real photographic memory. 

Quoting Cindy18:

Quoting Nicholy10:

Cindy18
by Silver Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 9:35 PM

See I'm not seeing the difference between just playing with your child and teaching them the basics and "homeschooling" at the preschool age. 

I played with my kids and taught them the colors, shapes, alphabet but never called it homeschooling. 

Quoting frndlyfn:

Yes from age 3 on you can send them to regular school (preschool for this young age) or homeschool them.  We did homeschool since we could not afford private preschools.

letstalk747
by Joy on Dec. 21, 2013 at 9:36 PM

yeah like Head Start , or just the schools preschool 1/2 day thing

Quoting frndlyfn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)