Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

What was your child's first word?

Posted by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 5:50 AM
  • 26 Replies

What was your child's first word and when did they say it?  

by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 5:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jjamom
by Michele on Dec. 23, 2013 at 8:07 AM

I think it was ball, around age 2.  He said a handful of b words before ever saying mama or dada!  He actually just started calling me Mommy after calling me Mom for years!  He often leaves off ending sounds.  Oh and he said "Johnny" before Mom or Dad, too.  

Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 8:59 AM

D said "duck" when he was 9 months old when I was reading a duck book to him. I can't remember LO's very first word, but I do remember shopping with him when he was 9 months old and he pointed at the display and yelled "Avocado!". Everyone around us stopped and stared LOL. LO learned BabySign because we used if with D and he was signing before he talked. Does that count as a first word? :) When he had surgery at 7 months he was furiously signing "Milk" while we were in the waiting room.

Momof4AEMW
by Silver Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 9:28 AM

my oldest son was kitty and shoe about 10 months

my youngest son was ball at 18 months

my oldest daughter (by a minute, lol) I would have to look in a book for what word it was but was about 18 months

my little daughter is 5 and we're still waiting to hear her first.  Her giggle is adorable though!

Decemberlov
by Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:11 AM

dd1 - "pocka pocka pocketbook" - 7 months...she's a smarty pants lol

dd2 - "baby" about 8 months.

graycalico
by Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this
Grayson is over two and were still waiting. He sort of says mama, dada, sissy
letstalk747
by Joy on Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:54 AM

dada - 21/2ish i think

mandee1503
by Amanda on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Katy said dada around 9 months I think. Jacob said hi around 18 months.

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this
All of mine said Dada first. Elijah said it around 7 months, but then stopped talking for a couple years after the seizures started.

Liam said it at about 5 months, and was speaking in simple sentences by age 1. (He was crazy advanced with speech, but has evened out some now!)

Galen said dada with meaning around 20 months, and now at 27 months has about 30 words. But starting to catch up now, and might even graduate speech therapy soon!
raysma07
by Bronze Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:54 AM

dada and yes . dada was at 6 months and yes was at 8 months but that was all he said till he was almost 3.

Irislady17
by Bronze Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 1:02 PM
My oldest was ha ho and he after almost 5 months of intensive speech therapy. She was 2 and a half. My middle daughter was cat around 18months. I am anticipating a wait for my youngest to talk still.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)