Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

making car rides easier?

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 10:41 PM
  • 17 Replies

Any tips on how to keep a 5 month old calm on a long car ride?  When our daughter gets stressed/upset she can't breathe well.  Laying at an angle in her car seat doesn't help in the breathing department for her.  She gasps for air and produces a lot of mucus that she chokes on, then spits up a lot, and chokes on more.  This causes a lot of stopping to clean her off, change her, and calm her down.  We're going on our first long road trip with her next week and I'm scared it's gong to take twice as long because of constantly having to stop.  

by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Dec. 27, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Maybe have someone sit in the back with her? Or get a portable dvd player so she can watch cartoons. Ds usually sleeps on our long trips.

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 11:20 PM
I was going to suggest the DVD player too. You can put in dvd's that have cartoons or just pictures and music there are so many choices. I use the nickjr dvd's that come with several different cartoon shows on one DVD so she isn't seeing the same characters over and over.
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 12:12 AM

I agree with these ladies.  DVD player!  It's like the car trip baby sitter! 

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 8:25 AM
I hate to break it to you but it will take longer lol.

DVD player would be good. Stop often and get her out. Let her play after you feed her before you put her back in.

is she in an infant seat? You might consider getting her a convertible seat. They tend to sit up straighter. My youngest has bad reflux and that helped him alot.
ProudMeof2
by Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Def. DVD player. It is a life saver with my lil ones. For short rides, I used a mirror that had lights and music and a remote so I could control it.

Cindy18
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 8:51 AM

My first thought was the car-seat that sat up straighter. Is she getting motion sick, too? Maybe some baby Dramamine also.

Quoting arkansasmama08: I hate to break it to you but it will take longer lol.

DVD player would be good. Stop often and get her out. Let her play after you feed her before you put her back in.

is she in an infant seat? You might consider getting her a convertible seat. They tend to sit up straighter. My youngest has bad reflux and that helped him alot.

imapepper
by Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Well, we tried this yesterday.  My 3 year old has a convertible seat in each of our cars, so I adjusted one and let her try it out yesterday while we were out.  It didn't seem to really have any effect on her.  We have a built in dvd player in our car, but she's only 5 months old and doesn't really watch tv.  I guess we'll just have to deal with it and pray for no big choking spells.

Quoting Cindy18:

My first thought was the car-seat that sat up straighter. Is she getting motion sick, too? Maybe some baby Dramamine also.

Cindy18
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I am willing to bet that she is also getting motion sick. Have you asked your doctor about some kind of motion sickness pills? 

Quoting imapepper:

Well, we tried this yesterday.  My 3 year old has a convertible seat in each of our cars, so I adjusted one and let her try it out yesterday while we were out.  It didn't seem to really have any effect on her.  We have a built in dvd player in our car, but she's only 5 months old and doesn't really watch tv.  I guess we'll just have to deal with it and pray for no big choking spells.

Quoting Cindy18:

themilitarymama
by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Hi there imapepper-  I came to the realization that indeed babies can experience car sickness !!  My daughter would scream bloody murder, until my son would beg me to pull over and nurse her.  First, do you nurse ? It seems to me maybe not.  This is a personal choice ,of course. Second, who has allergies or asthma in your family or the dads ?  If indeed you formula feed--you may wish to know that milk products increase the thickness of th mucos.  The baby may have allergies and the formula , position in the car seat as well as good old fashioned car sickness may be the problem here.  I would reccommend car sickness homeopathic remedies for infants.  Just because they are tiny,unable to say they feel sick in the back seat does not mean they are immune to carsickness.  Hope some of this helps... music is what I have always used to help on all rides--you also may try doing the drive when the baby sleeps longest. (night)

imapepper
by Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 11:06 PM

May I ask what gives you the impression that I don't nurse?  My daughter does nurse on demand.  None of our family members have allergies.  She only has 1/3 of the airway a typical 5 month old has and the flap at the back of her throat that is supposed to close off to let her breathe through her nose when she eats doesn't close all the way causing milk to come out her nose.  She has some pretty major breathing and swallowing issues because of it.  We actually just got back home from our long car trip today.  The only thing that seemed to work was to black out her area (cover her carseat with thick blankets, with area for ventalation of coures).  Other than that, we did have to stop often to nurse her and suction her out.  Thankfully she rode much better on the way home than the way there.  Thanks for your input.

Quoting themilitarymama:

Hi there imapepper-  I came to the realization that indeed babies can experience car sickness !!  My daughter would scream bloody murder, until my son would beg me to pull over and nurse her.  First, do you nurse ? It seems to me maybe not.  This is a personal choice ,of course. Second, who has allergies or asthma in your family or the dads ?  If indeed you formula feed--you may wish to know that milk products increase the thickness of th mucos.  The baby may have allergies and the formula , position in the car seat as well as good old fashioned car sickness may be the problem here.  I would reccommend car sickness homeopathic remedies for infants.  Just because they are tiny,unable to say they feel sick in the back seat does not mean they are immune to carsickness.  Hope some of this helps... music is what I have always used to help on all rides--you also may try doing the drive when the baby sleeps longest. (night)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)