Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

fast weight gain?

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2013 at 1:13 PM
  • 9 Replies
So, Jeremiah has weighed 33 lbs for about a year, and that was after he gained 3 on pediasure that year. Yesterday I took him to the Dr for his cough (cold & ear infection...poor guy), and he weighed 39 lbs. This is good,but it also worries me. With his appetite shooting through the roof, and him getting up at night to raid the kitchen, I'm afraid we have something else going on.

Is a good thing ever really a good thing in our world?
by on Dec. 28, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Dec. 28, 2013 at 4:25 PM

That's a good gain though. Was the pedi worried?

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 4:46 PM
We never see his ped unless I ask for him. Most of the office is run by rpns. He has a visit with his GI coming soon, so I'll ask him .

Quoting mandee1503:

That's a good gain though. Was the pedi worried?

Mipsy
by Chelle on Dec. 28, 2013 at 5:24 PM
I'd ask GI when you see them. How old is he again? Ty gained 7lbs in just a few months after getting his gtube. In the last year and a half he has gained 12lbs. He dropped 4lbs this summer but then gained 6 since September when he got his jtube. Nutrition whines he gained too much now but they are never happy with his weight, he either isn't gaining enough or gaining too much. Our GI is thrilled and Ty hasn't just gained weight but grown in height too. Ty has grown 10.5" in the last year and a half too.

Has he gained any height? And honestly, even if he hasn't, he may very soon. Lots of kids tend to gain weight, then shoot up in height. I think if it continues with no height growth over the next couple months then I'd get concerned.
jjamom
by Michele on Dec. 28, 2013 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this
When was the last time he was weighed? I'd think growth would be a good thing. I know for us it would be. Maybe he has been experiencing a growth spurt, which might explain him being hungrier (maybe even the nighttime raids). Hopefully nothing to be concerned about. :)
arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 6:36 PM
November at the pulmonologist. He weighed 35 then. So it'd be almost 5 lbs in less than two months...

Quoting jjamom: When was the last time he was weighed? I'd think growth would be a good thing. I know for us it would be. Maybe he has been experiencing a growth spurt, which might explain him being hungrier (maybe even the nighttime raids). Hopefully nothing to be concerned about. :)
letstalk747
by Joy on Dec. 29, 2013 at 12:33 AM

yeah i know what you mean

Cindy18
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Ask the doctor that watches his weight, the GI, right?

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 29, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Do you think he needed to gain some weight? 

Quoting arkansasmama08: November at the pulmonologist. He weighed 35 then. So it'd be almost 5 lbs in less than two months...

Quoting jjamom: When was the last time he was weighed? I'd think growth would be a good thing. I know for us it would be. Maybe he has been experiencing a growth spurt, which might explain him being hungrier (maybe even the nighttime raids). Hopefully nothing to be concerned about. :)

jjamom
by Michele on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Sometimes scales vary by a pound or two from office to office also. I'd just ask the doctor what they think.

Quoting arkansasmama08: November at the pulmonologist. He weighed 35 then. So it'd be almost 5 lbs in less than two months...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)