Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

oh boy...not good

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:18 PM
  • 15 Replies
So, that was discouraging. Jeremiah has strabismus in both eyes and is extremely far sighted. They've ordered him glasses that he'll have to wear all the time and we're talking about maybe doing vision therapy. She gave me lots of information to read so I can understand how his brain is working and what they can do to help. She said its really more of a neurological issue than visual. She asked to see the other two as well. Zack had strabismus surgically corrected a few years ago and she wants to check and see if his eyes are actually working together like they should.

anyway, its definitely good that we caught it now. She said sometimes his condition can cause complete vision loss. Not good. Right now he can't see more than a foot or so in front if him. I knew it wasn't going to be good news when he started leaning forward to find the pictures they wanted him to see.
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Glad you got answers though.
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Not great answers, but at least you got them before it got any worse.  Glad you found a good doctor to follow the kiddos! 

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:16 PM
Yes, I'm glad we got in to her so quickly.
letstalk747
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:08 PM

my son had vision therapy , and when younger when you looked at him you could see his eyes were not where they should be and didnt work together , the eye DR wanted to do surgury to make them work together-  i said no lets try glasses awhile , the glasses work pretty good ,

can you see your kids are off to one side and not looking straight at how they should ?

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:14 PM
This Dr said surgery is just a cosmetic fix and doesn't correct anything.

sadly, I haven't noticed at all. Jeremiah bumps into things all the time, but we figured it was sensory or he wasn't paying attention. Turns out he really either can't see it, or has no depth perception and doesn't realize he's that close.

I gotta tell ya, I felt like a crappy mom for not picking up on this stuff earlier

Quoting letstalk747:

my son had vision therapy , and when younger when you looked at him you could see his eyes were not where they should be and didnt work together , the eye DR wanted to do surgury to make them work together-  i said no lets try glasses awhile , the glasses work pretty good ,

can you see your kids are off to one side and not looking straight at how they should ?

letstalk747
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:17 PM

i bet glasses would help him , and dont feel like crap- your a good mom

Quoting arkansasmama08: This Dr said surgery is just a cosmetic fix and doesn't correct anything.

sadly, I haven't noticed at all. Jeremiah bumps into things all the time, but we figured it was sensory or he wasn't paying attention. Turns out he really either can't see it, or has no depth perception and doesn't realize he's that close.

I gotta tell ya, I felt like a crappy mom for not picking up on this stuff earlier

Quoting letstalk747:

Codysmom2106
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Glad you were able to catch it in time. I hope glasses will help.

Bluecalm
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Don't feel badly. You're a great mom.

Have your kids ever had genetic testing?
Linagma03
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:26 PM

I am so glad that you have a good doctor for the kids. It's answers that is what is the most important thing. Even bad answers are answers. Hugs Momma!

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:41 PM
Not yet. We will un February while we're in Little rock for their diagnostic appointment. We've put it off for a long time, but there's getting to be a real trend between all 3..

Quoting Bluecalm: Don't feel badly. You're a great mom.

Have your kids ever had genetic testing?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)