Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

His attention is everywhere and no where..

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:09 PM
  • 8 Replies

MY DS 3 has high-functioning autism..

The past two times we have gone to the store hes been.. out of it.. to a degree.

A few months ago he gained my trust enough that he could walk next to me and not be trapped in the cart. Well the past two times hes just been walking and not really paying attention to where hes going. he just stares off in a distance and walks. He ran into a shelf the other day and left a nasty bruise on his noggin. I worry, he's never done this before and I hate to put him back in the car because him being restrained in something like a seat or cart really stresses him out to the point me has break downs.

I'm not really sure what to do here...

Any advice? is it just a phase or something? 

I plan on asking his TSS what she thinks of the matter but we do not see her until after the holidays.

MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
britmichele
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Can u do a makeshift leash that attaches from cart to his wrist?
zombieskayer
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I probably could, I'm pretty crafty. Thats actually a good idea. At school they have to hold a colored rope when walking from room to room and out to the cars. He might like that..

Quoting britmichele: Can u do a makeshift leash that attaches from cart to his wrist?

MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

mandee1503
by Amanda on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:50 PM

That's a good idea!

Quoting britmichele: Can u do a makeshift leash that attaches from cart to his wrist?

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:50 PM
They make backpacks with leashes that are really cute. I can't let my 3yr old loose either. He does the same thing, plus he's a runner. So if I can't hold him, he's in the cart.

my daughter is 5 and we use a service dog for her for that reason too. It helps her alot
letstalk747
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:58 PM

will he walk holding your hand ?

zombieskayer
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Sometimes

Quoting letstalk747:

letstalk747
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:25 PM

sometimes it can help to give them some gum to chew on - it kind of grounds my kids  - gives them something for their mind to be on and they pay attention alittle better - its worth a try

Quoting zombieskayer: Sometimes

Quoting letstalk747:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 31, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Not sure mama....my son can't be trusted to do that yet:)  Hugs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)