Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

S/o sort of: annoying comments, messages, etc

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 1:46 PM
  • 19 Replies
So arkansas post about that rude lady messaging her on fb just got me thinking of an annoying comment I got once on fb.

I was having a really bad day and had said on my fb I was ready to give up. This was during Ty's hospitalization in September. A lady from my church (why does it seem so many from church have no filter?!) commented "you can't, you're a mom!" It pissed me off. I deleted her comment. No shit Sherlock I'm a mom!! But walk a day in my shoes, I gurantee you would quit after one hour!!! Urg it made me so angry! I'm well aware of who and what I am, I don't need a hoity toity grandma informing me of such, especially when they have 0 idea what we go through. I never said anything to her, I just deleted her comment. But it still boils my blood.

So what comments, messages, etc have been said to you that just rubbed you entirely the wrong way?
by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
raysma07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Well if we want to talk about comments from church LOL! I wanted to baptize my son when he was 2 and I called up a church that my nephew was done at well I was talking to the preist and he proceeded to tell me wait for it " your not a good mom you don't take your child to church regularly I can't do that for you because you need to be a regular memeber of the church" WTH?  to this day when anyone mentions that church my blood boils!!!

britmichele
by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 1:55 PM
My ex's mom told him that I wasn't trying hard enough because Ethan doesn't talk.

My mother told me once, during an episode where I was refusing to give in to a temper, that I was a mean mother and she loved my son more than I did

I haven't remembered/gotten any from strangers
mandee1503
by Amanda on Jan. 1, 2014 at 2:06 PM

None on facebook, and none from strangers. I've gotten I feel sorry for you. My grandpa referred to Jacob having a disease. He's since learned! ;) My grandma makes daily comments about how I need to try harder, and just shove food into Jacobs mouth so he will learn to eat. I've gotten ignoring her, down pat!

arkansasmama08
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 2:58 PM
Lol it is amazing what people will say isn't it. Why nobody has a filter anymore is beyond me. Have an opinion? Disagree with what we're doing and how we're handling the situation? Great! Look how hard we're trying and either be supportive or shush. Not hard.
alwaysbelieve
by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this

When DSforever17 was a baby he had an NG tube and heart monitor, etc. My mom would babysit so (then)DH & I could have 1 night/week for us. She told me once she did not know how I did it...she would have put him in a home. I'm not sure my exact thoughts at that time...if I felt empowered or defeated. When he passed, my mom was incredibly cold & said some awful, hateful things. Nearly 1 year later when my dad was in the hospital, I brought my kids in for a visit (only the youngest 3 as DS had left for the Navy). One of the nurses asked how many grandchildren he had and my dad said "4". After she left, I asked him about his answer. He proceeded to name every one except my deceased son. So I said "Ummm...Adam??" He said "Oh, well, yeah, but he doesn't count." Wow. Because he's no longer with us, he no longer counts. Nice. 

You would not believe all the comments I got when he was alive (and very clearly disabled) let alone the horrible things people have said since he's been gone. 

As far as responding...keep this in the back of your mind when formulating a response: "If in your life you touch only one person, hit them hard enough to leave a mark." (~pe) Then let it fly!! If we don't teach people, who will?

Cindy18
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, just Wow!

Hugs to you!

Quoting alwaysbelieve:

When DSforever17 was a baby he had an NG tube and heart monitor, etc. My mom would babysit so (then)DH & I could have 1 night/week for us. She told me once she did not know how I did it...she would have put him in a home. I'm not sure my exact thoughts at that time...if I felt empowered or defeated. When he passed, my mom was incredibly cold & said some awful, hateful things. Nearly 1 year later when my dad was in the hospital, I brought my kids in for a visit (only the youngest 3 as DS had left for the Navy). One of the nurses asked how many grandchildren he had and my dad said "4". After she left, I asked him about his answer. He proceeded to name every one except my deceased son. So I said "Ummm...Adam??" He said "Oh, well, yeah, but he doesn't count." Wow. Because he's no longer with us, he no longer counts. Nice. 

You would not believe all the comments I got when he was alive (and very clearly disabled) let alone the horrible things people have said since he's been gone. 

As far as responding...keep this in the back of your mind when formulatinga response: "If in your life you touch only one person, hit them hard enough to leave a mark." (~pe) Then let it fly!! If we don't teach people, who will?

letstalk747
by Joy on Jan. 1, 2014 at 6:19 PM

we are special moms  -- and then there is just moms that have no clue of our and our childs lives

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Too many to count, and too many with the R word in them.

Most memorable, probably the lady with her own child with downs that called him an R, he called himself an R, both called my daughter an R, and the mom said I must not have had the test either (referring to the amnio) as if she had her son would not have been here and certainly mine would not have been either in her mind.  That one made me sad for her son,  he was a sweet boy that did not deserve a mother like her! 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 2, 2014 at 6:39 AM

Too many to even think about!  Hugs Chelle!

jjamom
by Michele on Jan. 2, 2014 at 2:22 PM
On FB none, which is good because I would just unfriend the person.

At Church, we have had a good experience so far, more compliments than anything negative.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)